May 26, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Newark Star-Ledger’s Marc Carig has confirmed that the deal is done. Boone Logan has been optioned to Triple-A to make room on the 25-man roster and Australian Shane Lindsay was designated for assignment to clear space on the 40-man roster.
2:45pm: Released by the Yankees after losing the fifth-starter battle to Phil Hughes this spring, Chad Gaudin signed with the A’s and went 0-2 with an 8.83 ERA before getting released again.
Now he’s back in pinstripes, as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Gaudin has re-signed with the Yankees and will be available out of the bullpen tonight.
Gaudin was originally under contract for $2.95 million this season, but by cutting him during spring training the Yankees were only on the hook for $737,500. Presumably he’s getting a minimum deal this time around, so the release-and-return will probably save the Yankees a couple million bucks.
He’s a good fit as a long reliever and spot starter, going 34-37 with a 4.62 ERA in 613.2 career innings split between 75 starts and 153 relief appearances.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)