May 26, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Newark Star-Ledger’s Marc Carig has confirmed that the deal is done. Boone Logan has been optioned to Triple-A to make room on the 25-man roster and Australian Shane Lindsay was designated for assignment to clear space on the 40-man roster.
2:45pm: Released by the Yankees after losing the fifth-starter battle to Phil Hughes this spring, Chad Gaudin signed with the A’s and went 0-2 with an 8.83 ERA before getting released again.
Now he’s back in pinstripes, as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Gaudin has re-signed with the Yankees and will be available out of the bullpen tonight.
Gaudin was originally under contract for $2.95 million this season, but by cutting him during spring training the Yankees were only on the hook for $737,500. Presumably he’s getting a minimum deal this time around, so the release-and-return will probably save the Yankees a couple million bucks.
He’s a good fit as a long reliever and spot starter, going 34-37 with a 4.62 ERA in 613.2 career innings split between 75 starts and 153 relief appearances.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)