May 26, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Newark Star-Ledger’s Marc Carig has confirmed that the deal is done. Boone Logan has been optioned to Triple-A to make room on the 25-man roster and Australian Shane Lindsay was designated for assignment to clear space on the 40-man roster.
2:45pm: Released by the Yankees after losing the fifth-starter battle to Phil Hughes this spring, Chad Gaudin signed with the A’s and went 0-2 with an 8.83 ERA before getting released again.
Now he’s back in pinstripes, as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Gaudin has re-signed with the Yankees and will be available out of the bullpen tonight.
Gaudin was originally under contract for $2.95 million this season, but by cutting him during spring training the Yankees were only on the hook for $737,500. Presumably he’s getting a minimum deal this time around, so the release-and-return will probably save the Yankees a couple million bucks.
He’s a good fit as a long reliever and spot starter, going 34-37 with a 4.62 ERA in 613.2 career innings split between 75 starts and 153 relief appearances.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 68
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)