May 26, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Newark Star-Ledger’s Marc Carig has confirmed that the deal is done. Boone Logan has been optioned to Triple-A to make room on the 25-man roster and Australian Shane Lindsay was designated for assignment to clear space on the 40-man roster.
2:45pm: Released by the Yankees after losing the fifth-starter battle to Phil Hughes this spring, Chad Gaudin signed with the A’s and went 0-2 with an 8.83 ERA before getting released again.
Now he’s back in pinstripes, as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Gaudin has re-signed with the Yankees and will be available out of the bullpen tonight.
Gaudin was originally under contract for $2.95 million this season, but by cutting him during spring training the Yankees were only on the hook for $737,500. Presumably he’s getting a minimum deal this time around, so the release-and-return will probably save the Yankees a couple million bucks.
He’s a good fit as a long reliever and spot starter, going 34-37 with a 4.62 ERA in 613.2 career innings split between 75 starts and 153 relief appearances.
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)