May 26, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Newark Star-Ledger’s Marc Carig has confirmed that the deal is done. Boone Logan has been optioned to Triple-A to make room on the 25-man roster and Australian Shane Lindsay was designated for assignment to clear space on the 40-man roster.
2:45pm: Released by the Yankees after losing the fifth-starter battle to Phil Hughes this spring, Chad Gaudin signed with the A’s and went 0-2 with an 8.83 ERA before getting released again.
Now he’s back in pinstripes, as Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that Gaudin has re-signed with the Yankees and will be available out of the bullpen tonight.
Gaudin was originally under contract for $2.95 million this season, but by cutting him during spring training the Yankees were only on the hook for $737,500. Presumably he’s getting a minimum deal this time around, so the release-and-return will probably save the Yankees a couple million bucks.
He’s a good fit as a long reliever and spot starter, going 34-37 with a 4.62 ERA in 613.2 career innings split between 75 starts and 153 relief appearances.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12