Another t-shirt I probably need

May 27, 2010, 3:28 PM EST

On Monday I pointed out a cool Phillies shirt that, even though I’m no Phillies fan, I probably need to get.  Today we have a Red Sox shirt that’s equally full of win: The “Laser Show” shirt, inspired by this pretty cool Dustin Pedroia quote.

I think the best thing about both of these shirts is that they memorialize moments in team history that will be utterly forgotten by even serious fans come this fall.  This takes that whole “look at me I’m wearing an ironic ‘Atari’ t-shirt” thing to a whole new level. Because, hey, at least we remembered Atari. You whip out a “Laser Show” shirt five years from now and people will think you came from another planet. In a good way!

In other news, a long time ago the band Yo La Tengo had these t-shirts with Mr. Met on
them and the band’s name underneath. Back in 2008 ESPN’s Rob Neyer and I were at the SABR convention and saw a guy with one, after which each of us vowed to acquire one for ourselves. I had no luck. I’m guessing he didn’t either.  If any of you have a lead on where a brother could find one — an old one, not some new one your cousin makes up at his booth on the boardwalk — it would be much appreciated.

Oh, and don’t tell Rob.

UPDATE #1:  See the comments. Turns out that Neyer already has the Yo La Tengo shirt.  Damn.

UPDATE #2:  I’m informed that the fellows at the link weren’t the first ones to make a “Laser Show” shirt.  These guys were, and they have some video evidence to prove it.  I currently have my law license on inactive status so I can’t rightfully serve as an arbitrator on this matter. If you’re looking to buy a “Laser Show” shirt, you’re going to have to let your conscience be your guide.

1. robneyer - May 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I have my Mr. Met / Yo La Tengo t-shirt. Dan Laurila gave me his.
    Oh, but don’t tell Craig.

2. J Rose - May 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I love how it says “Relax” on the back instead of Pedroia.

3. robneyer - May 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I suppose you’re right about these little catch-phrases that are mostly forgotten within two weeks. But some of them do endure. Remember “Operation Shutdown”? I’ll bet we could come up with a few more…

4. J Rose - May 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM

As a Sox fan, “Who’s your daddy?” immediately comes to mind

5. Zedia - May 27, 2010 at 4:41 PM

The “laser show” goes back a couple years. It wasn’t the first time he’s said it.

6. Joe - May 28, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Sully’s is a toolbag ripoff of barstoolsports.com
    they came out with the lazer show shirt like a week ago.
    That being said, go red sox.

7. sullysucks - May 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Sully’s what a piece of crap ripping off barstool sports. You can sell the shirts just don’t act like a righteous asshole and admit barstool beat you to the punch. Dicks.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (3939)