May 27, 2010, 3:28 PM EST
On Monday I pointed out a cool Phillies shirt that, even though I’m no Phillies fan, I probably need to get. Today we have a Red Sox shirt that’s equally full of win: The “Laser Show” shirt, inspired by this pretty cool Dustin Pedroia quote.
I think the best thing about both of these shirts is that they memorialize moments in team history that will be utterly forgotten by even serious fans come this fall. This takes that whole “look at me I’m wearing an ironic ‘Atari’ t-shirt” thing to a whole new level. Because, hey, at least we remembered Atari. You whip out a “Laser Show” shirt five years from now and people will think you came from another planet. In a good way!
In other news, a long time ago the band Yo La Tengo had these t-shirts with Mr. Met on
them and the band’s name underneath. Back in 2008 ESPN’s Rob Neyer and I were at the SABR convention and saw a guy with one, after which each of us vowed to acquire one for ourselves. I had no luck. I’m guessing he didn’t either. If any of you have a lead on where a brother could find one — an old one, not some new one your cousin makes up at his booth on the boardwalk — it would be much appreciated.
Oh, and don’t tell Rob.
UPDATE #1: See the comments. Turns out that Neyer already has the Yo La Tengo shirt. Damn.
UPDATE #2: I’m informed that the fellows at the link weren’t the first ones to make a “Laser Show” shirt. These guys were, and they have some video evidence to prove it. I currently have my law license on inactive status so I can’t rightfully serve as an arbitrator on this matter. If you’re looking to buy a “Laser Show” shirt, you’re going to have to let your conscience be your guide.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)