May 27, 2010, 3:28 PM EDT
On Monday I pointed out a cool Phillies shirt that, even though I’m no Phillies fan, I probably need to get. Today we have a Red Sox shirt that’s equally full of win: The “Laser Show” shirt, inspired by this pretty cool Dustin Pedroia quote.
I think the best thing about both of these shirts is that they memorialize moments in team history that will be utterly forgotten by even serious fans come this fall. This takes that whole “look at me I’m wearing an ironic ‘Atari’ t-shirt” thing to a whole new level. Because, hey, at least we remembered Atari. You whip out a “Laser Show” shirt five years from now and people will think you came from another planet. In a good way!
In other news, a long time ago the band Yo La Tengo had these t-shirts with Mr. Met on
them and the band’s name underneath. Back in 2008 ESPN’s Rob Neyer and I were at the SABR convention and saw a guy with one, after which each of us vowed to acquire one for ourselves. I had no luck. I’m guessing he didn’t either. If any of you have a lead on where a brother could find one — an old one, not some new one your cousin makes up at his booth on the boardwalk — it would be much appreciated.
Oh, and don’t tell Rob.
UPDATE #1: See the comments. Turns out that Neyer already has the Yo La Tengo shirt. Damn.
UPDATE #2: I’m informed that the fellows at the link weren’t the first ones to make a “Laser Show” shirt. These guys were, and they have some video evidence to prove it. I currently have my law license on inactive status so I can’t rightfully serve as an arbitrator on this matter. If you’re looking to buy a “Laser Show” shirt, you’re going to have to let your conscience be your guide.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 4
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 18
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)