Chipper Jones may retire after this year

May 27, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT

Chipper Jones swing.jpgLast year Chipper Jones, mired in a deep second-half slump, said that he might just retire after 2010 and walk away from millions.  He backtracked on that earlier this season.  Now he’s back on his “I may just give it all up” horse:

“I make no bones about it. I am seriously considering it no
matter how this year ends up for the Atlanta Braves. It’s something
that’s still in the works, but hasn’t been ruled out for the end of the
year. I’m not going to stick around and hamstring this organization if
I’m not playing well and not enjoying myself… I’ve committed to play
this year. I’m not going to walk out on the club. But at the end of this
year, if I don’t feel like I can contribute at a high level like I
always have, then it is a possibility that I will walk away.”

Jones is hitting .219/.377/.336 with only two homers and his usual assortment of bumps and bruises.  Despite this, the Braves have the second best record in the NL in the month of May and are second in runs scored.  It would be great if he could turn it around and add to the party, but so far the Braves have gotten by just fine without him producing.

It’s one thing to struggle. It’s another thing when you struggle and have it not really matter.  Jones has always been fairly frank in assessing his performance and place in the universe. Based on these comments, I think he’s pretty well aware of it now as well.  If he realizes that he’s no longer needed, I have no doubt that he’d walk away from the $20 million+ he’s owed and retire.

1. nps6724 - May 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I love Chipper; always have. Been my favorite Brave since Justice left. But he’s done. Even when he’s making outs, they’re weak. Nothing hard-hit at all. And he doesn’t seem to be recognizing pitches as well as he used to because he’s swinging at a lot more garbage than before.
    It’s time to hang ‘em up and take over for TP as HC.

2. Steve - May 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I’ve always had a lot of respect for Chipper Jones. When he signed he used his Dad as an agent and just told him to sign for whatever they were offering because he just wanted to play ball. He rightfully assumed that if he was any good at baseball he’d make his money eventually. I always admired how frank he was and the fact that he stayed with Braves for the entirety of his career is something I was always impressed with. (I hope that story about Chipper signing his first contract is right because I’m going from memory and that’s not always the most reliable resource…oh well)

3. Megary - May 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I’d be stunned if Chipper walked away from millions, though you never know. How about if he decided to become player/manager or player/coach. Who better to take over the ship after Admiral Cox sets sail? Chipper could still contribute as a part time player/pinch hitter. I doubt the Braves would go for it however, not enough bang for the buck…unless they could get creative???

4. Mike Ryan - May 27, 2010 at 6:34 PM

As heard on “The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz” on 790 The Ticket in Miami, FL

5. GimmeSomeSteel - May 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Chipper is trying to be MLB’s version of Brett Favre with his maybe-I-will/maybe-I-won’t act. The unfortunate difference (for him) is that Favre can still get it done, although not at the level some of the football “experts” think he is still at, while Chipper is not nearly what he was a few years back.
    Retire, Chipper, and let us remember how good you were once. Have another beer down at Hooter’s and reminisce.

6. Jonny5 - May 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Chipper is one of the Few ball players who has a conscience about taking free money from a team. Very rare indeed. Well, he talks that way at least, time will tell.

7. phil - May 28, 2010 at 10:43 AM

If you watched him play last night, it was clear that the man hasn’t lost “it”, whatever that is…he smacked the snot out of the ball twice, primarily because he waited on the pitches and put excellent swings on them…
    He hasn’t looked good much of the year, but I maintain that he’ll come around. If he doesn’t and ends the year hitting poorly, then ok. I think it’s more patience at the plate right now than anything. And i say this even though the man is drawing a ton of walks.

8. Jeff - May 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM

For me the main point here is not how Mr. Jones is playing now, or the comparisons with Brett Favre.
    That he would consider leaving a lot of money, regarding it as less important than being able to contribute to the team is for me the admirable focus of Mr. Jones public statements.

9. Kathy - May 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Chipper is the main reason I became a Braves fan, and it will be a sad, sad day when he does retire. It’s hard to watch him deteriorate right in front of my eyes. But I’m certain Chipper prefers to go out with dignity, rather than being known as a player who hung on far too long after his skills were gone. For right now, I think Chipper needs to be hitting 6th or 7th, not 3rd. He’s always been a team player, moving to left so that the Braves could sign Vinny Castilla to play third. He deferred some of his salary so the Braves could have more to spend to try and resign Rafael Furcal. I am sure he’ll do the right thing when the time comes to make his decision. I plan on being front and center at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony!

10. Kathy - May 28, 2010 at 7:00 PM

P.S. The Hooters comments are lame and soooooooo outdated. Chipper’s no Tiger Woods, that’s for sure!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3846)