C.J. Nitkowski caught someone cheating

May 27, 2010, 4:48 PM EDT

Former major leaguer C.J. Nitkowski has a Twitter account, and a few minutes ago he tweeted something interesting:

Watching some daytime MLB. Camera just zoomed in
& didn’t realize it caught a pitcher cheating. Don’t ask me
who/what. Tricks of the trade.

Uh-oh Casey Blake is on to it. TV guys completely
in the dark. I should start my analyst career.

Fun!  The reference to Casey Blake must mean that it’s in the Dodgers-Cubs game.  It’s unclear from the context if Casey Blake being “on to it” means that he realizes that the opponent is cheating or if it’s his own guy, and Nitkowski doesn’t say.

C’mon C.J.! Spill! I don’t want to have to go back and watch the whole game to find what you saw!

1. Jeff V. - May 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Why don’t you check the time stamp on the tweet and work backwards from there?

2. GregE - May 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I didn’t see what Casey Blake saw, but he definitely thought Ted Lilly was cheating. He was on first base and started saying something to the first base umpire and got in a shouting match with the ump. The Dodgers 1st base coach had to get in between Blake and the ump.

3. Quade - May 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM

It was the Dodger game. I couldn’t see what it was from the TV broadcast, but Casey Blake almost got kicked out. That 1B umpire also appeared to miss a call on a close play in which a Dodger baserunner was called out at first.

4. Ron - May 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I was watching the game. Blake got mad at something and complained to the umpire, who refused to do anything about whatever it was. Blake then got into an argument with the 1B umpire about it. Torre actually had to come out and find out what was going on.
    As he said, the analyst didn’t have a clue. They thought Blake was complaining about a balk move, and spent the next 10 minutes talking about Buehrle yesterday, and the balk year of 1987.
    I don’t have a clue, but Blake got pretty worked up about it.

5. Head Bee Guy - May 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Casey Blake got into a shouting match with an Umpire after reaching first base against Ted Lilly.

6. Shamwow - May 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM

The suspense is killing me. We know the time frame now, someone must have this tivo’d. What did Nitkowski and Blake see??

7. jali22 - May 27, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Lilly wasn’t anywhere near the rubber when he was pitching:

8. CaseyBlakeIsAGangster - May 27, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Apparently Lilly was a few inches off the rubber when he was looking in for Soto’s sign. Blake saw because he was on first and could see the daylight between the foot and the rubber.
    I could be wrong though, so feel free to correct me!

9. Daniel - May 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM

As #7 above posted, Neyer’s got this one figured out. Apparently the Twitter-verse has revealed that Lilly was a few inches in front of the mound when he was pitching. Is that a balk? Or a ball? Or what? Either way, it’s pretty lousy that the umpire didn’t say anything.
    ReCaptcha: “Flogging his” Floggin his what? I simply must know.

10. Rusty Shackleford - May 27, 2010 at 10:47 PM

How dare a pitcher throw a pitch off the rubber!
    What an advantage that must be over those poor hitters who never stray anywhere near the parameters of the batter’s box. ;)

11. APBA Guy - May 28, 2010 at 1:01 AM

The A’s forced Bergeson to throw from the rubber tonight, not 4 inches off of it, without a big dispute fom the umps, probably because of the Lilly thing this afternoon.

All the trade deadline news to know