Dallas Braden isn't joking about his love of the 209

May 27, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT

Rick Chandler of our very own Out of Bounds blog caught up with Dallas Braden last weekend as Mr. Perfect visited his hometown of Stockton to be feted at a Stockton Ports game. Braden had some nice things to say about his hometown. As a guy who hails from a couple of places that aren’t always thought of all that highly, I like to see that kind of pride.

But Braden is definitely more hardcore than I ever well be. For example, I don’t plan on having either “810” or “304” tattooed in Olde English script on my abdomen anytime soon.  Click through to see Braden’s, um, pride.

1. Evan - May 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM

There’s a fine line between hardcore and idiotic. I think Braden has crossed over to the latter.

2. Joey B - May 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I agree Craig. I take some pride in being from the Bronx. It’s a much nicer place than people give it credit for, and there is certain amount of inate toughness accruing from it. And as someone from the NYT’s once said, a kid in a schoolyard in the Bronx could run a supermarket chain in the midwest.
    The bottom line is that, if people took more pride in being from ‘the wrong side of the tracks’, the wrong side of the tracks wouldn’t be so much wrong anymore.

3. Scott - May 27, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I hear in the 209 they play dodgeball with bricks

4. Curious George - May 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM

What Braden’s grandmother did, raising a grandson, now that was hardcore. Putting ink on your skin? That’s just posturing.

5. scatterbrian - May 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Is this the first time people have seen an area code tattoo? Maybe it’s because I lived in Orange County for nearly a decade, which is teeming with shirtless wannabe hardasses with local-pride tattoos. Head down to the pier in Huntington Beach any weekend and you’re sure to see Old English “Orange County” across someone’s stomach or shoulders, along with obligatory “OC” and “714” tattoos.

6. Big Harold - May 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I hear they bowl over handed.

7. Big Harold - May 27, 2010 at 1:46 PM

“Is this the first time people have seen an area code tattoo? … any weekend and you’re sure to see Old English “Orange County” across someone’s stomach or shoulders, along with obligatory “OC” and “714” tattoos.”
    It’s the first time I’ve heard of it. I grew up about two miles from the Stadium when getting tattoos was done mostly by convicted felons, military types, (like my Dad, when he was a paratrooper or my uncle the sailor), and bikers. Today, its worn like an accoutrement, like a fashion accessory. So, that makes guys hard asses or stylish?
    Really, all this leads me back to one question; since I grew up in the “718”, back when it was still the “212” but I’ve moved to the “631” am I or am I not a tough guy? Well, I guess if I have to ask, … there is the answer.
    Is this guys’ 15 minutes of fame up yet?

All the trade deadline news to know