May 27, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Florida International sophomore Garrett Wittels extended his hitting streak to 50 games this afternoon, leaving him eight short of Robin Ventura’s record streak of 58 games for Oklahoma State in 1987.
Wittels has a hit in every game this year, but with FIU playing in the Sun Belt Conference tournament and one loss from their season being over his streak will likely have to continue in 2011.
Wittels has just two homers all season and 66 of his 86 hits have been singles, but the 6-foot-1 shortstop is batting .411 with a .460 on-base percentage and .536 slugging percentage.
FIU hasn’t produced many big leaguers, although they do have Mike Lowell in the majors right now.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (159)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)