May 27, 2010, 2:46 PM EST
After his latest ugly outing Jake Peavy has a 6.05 ERA in 10 starts for the White Sox, and pitching coach Don Cooper admitted during a radio interview this morning that he’s been dealing with a “tired arm.”
We need better out of him. We got him for better than this and he hasn’t been providing it for us yet. We are waiting patiently. I think it’s going to come. He’s got a tired arm. Well, OK, we’ll run it through, we’ll deal with it. But the bottom line is, you’re not going to always have your stuff. You have to out there and compete and get the job done and do it with “B” stuff and sometimes with “C” stuff. And we need him, so time to get going.
What he really needs is to have Petco Park as his home ballpark again, because while Peavy certainly isn’t as bad as he’s shown so far this season the league and ballpark switch always made him a likely candidate for decline in Chicago.
He has a 2.74 ERA in 90 starts at Petco Park and a 3.85 ERA in 135 starts everywhere else, and that’s with spending 95 percent of his career in the National League.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)