May 27, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
After his latest ugly outing Jake Peavy has a 6.05 ERA in 10 starts for the White Sox, and pitching coach Don Cooper admitted during a radio interview this morning that he’s been dealing with a “tired arm.”
We need better out of him. We got him for better than this and he hasn’t been providing it for us yet. We are waiting patiently. I think it’s going to come. He’s got a tired arm. Well, OK, we’ll run it through, we’ll deal with it. But the bottom line is, you’re not going to always have your stuff. You have to out there and compete and get the job done and do it with “B” stuff and sometimes with “C” stuff. And we need him, so time to get going.
What he really needs is to have Petco Park as his home ballpark again, because while Peavy certainly isn’t as bad as he’s shown so far this season the league and ballpark switch always made him a likely candidate for decline in Chicago.
He has a 2.74 ERA in 90 starts at Petco Park and a 3.85 ERA in 135 starts everywhere else, and that’s with spending 95 percent of his career in the National League.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)