May 27, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
After his latest ugly outing Jake Peavy has a 6.05 ERA in 10 starts for the White Sox, and pitching coach Don Cooper admitted during a radio interview this morning that he’s been dealing with a “tired arm.”
We need better out of him. We got him for better than this and he hasn’t been providing it for us yet. We are waiting patiently. I think it’s going to come. He’s got a tired arm. Well, OK, we’ll run it through, we’ll deal with it. But the bottom line is, you’re not going to always have your stuff. You have to out there and compete and get the job done and do it with “B” stuff and sometimes with “C” stuff. And we need him, so time to get going.
What he really needs is to have Petco Park as his home ballpark again, because while Peavy certainly isn’t as bad as he’s shown so far this season the league and ballpark switch always made him a likely candidate for decline in Chicago.
He has a 2.74 ERA in 90 starts at Petco Park and a 3.85 ERA in 135 starts everywhere else, and that’s with spending 95 percent of his career in the National League.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)