May 27, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
After his latest ugly outing Jake Peavy has a 6.05 ERA in 10 starts for the White Sox, and pitching coach Don Cooper admitted during a radio interview this morning that he’s been dealing with a “tired arm.”
We need better out of him. We got him for better than this and he hasn’t been providing it for us yet. We are waiting patiently. I think it’s going to come. He’s got a tired arm. Well, OK, we’ll run it through, we’ll deal with it. But the bottom line is, you’re not going to always have your stuff. You have to out there and compete and get the job done and do it with “B” stuff and sometimes with “C” stuff. And we need him, so time to get going.
What he really needs is to have Petco Park as his home ballpark again, because while Peavy certainly isn’t as bad as he’s shown so far this season the league and ballpark switch always made him a likely candidate for decline in Chicago.
He has a 2.74 ERA in 90 starts at Petco Park and a 3.85 ERA in 135 starts everywhere else, and that’s with spending 95 percent of his career in the National League.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)