May 27, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
After his latest ugly outing Jake Peavy has a 6.05 ERA in 10 starts for the White Sox, and pitching coach Don Cooper admitted during a radio interview this morning that he’s been dealing with a “tired arm.”
We need better out of him. We got him for better than this and he hasn’t been providing it for us yet. We are waiting patiently. I think it’s going to come. He’s got a tired arm. Well, OK, we’ll run it through, we’ll deal with it. But the bottom line is, you’re not going to always have your stuff. You have to out there and compete and get the job done and do it with “B” stuff and sometimes with “C” stuff. And we need him, so time to get going.
What he really needs is to have Petco Park as his home ballpark again, because while Peavy certainly isn’t as bad as he’s shown so far this season the league and ballpark switch always made him a likely candidate for decline in Chicago.
He has a 2.74 ERA in 90 starts at Petco Park and a 3.85 ERA in 135 starts everywhere else, and that’s with spending 95 percent of his career in the National League.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)