May 27, 2010, 11:23 AM EST
Such a proposition should not need much explaining — and even attempting to explain it should not be interesting — but I’ll be darned if an article from Mark Bradley of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution explaining that very proposition isn’t both illuminating and interesting.
Not so much because of the two players themselves — you know how I feel about both Heyward and Francoeur — but because of what it says about the differences between the baseball mindset (Heyward) and the football mindset (Francoeur). I’ve never really thought too hard about Jeff Francoeur as a football player, but I can’t help but think that my distaste for him as a player has just as much to do with my perceptions of his mentality than they do his performance for my team.
Indeed, Francoeur now plays — badly — for a team I don’t much care for. This should make me happy on some shallow level. It doesn’t though. I’m still just as frustrated at him now as I was when he played for the Braves. And I think it has to do with the temperament issues Bradley hits on in his piece more than anything else.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)