May 27, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes reports that Cowboy Joe West — late of his “if you think I can’t be an even bigger embarrassment than I already am then you seriously understimate me” tour of the Cleveland-Chisox series, will be working the Red Sox-Royals series in Fenway Park this weekend. This a month after he called the Red Sox and Yankees “pathetic” and “embarrassing” due to their pace of play.
Usually you don’t know where umps will be before the games, but we know about West, Edes reports, because “a publicist who lists West as one of his clients and
said that West is ‘available for media interviews and guest
appearances'” in Boston this weekend.
An umpire with a publicist? Methinks that Ozzie Guillen’s claim that West wants to make himself the show has more than a little truth to it.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 17
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 45
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 66
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)