Joe West to work the Red Sox series this weekend

May 27, 2010, 12:30 PM EST

Joe West.jpgESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes reports that Cowboy Joe West — late of his “if you think I can’t be an even bigger embarrassment than I already am then you seriously understimate me” tour of the Cleveland-Chisox series, will be working the Red Sox-Royals series in Fenway Park this weekend.  This a month after he called the Red Sox and Yankees “pathetic” and “embarrassing” due to their pace of play.

Usually you don’t know where umps will be before the games, but we know about West, Edes reports, because “a publicist who lists West as one of his clients and
said that West is ‘available for media interviews and guest
appearances'” in Boston this weekend.

An umpire with a publicist?  Methinks that Ozzie Guillen’s claim that West wants to make himself the show has more than a little truth to it.

1. union - May 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Ewwwww, his neck has a belly.
    Captcha: wider!

2. BC - May 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I hope every game is 13-12 and goes 15 innings.
    Over/under on the number of guys that get thrown out of the game during the series? I’ll set the line at 2-1/2.

3. lardin - May 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Just thinking out loud, but what if players refused to play in games where Joe West was the Umpire. Say John Lester refused to throw a pitch until West was removed from behind the plate or removed from the Crew. What would the umpires do? Can they force the Red Sox to change pitchers? Can will they declare a forfeit? What would Selig’s response be to the players, the team and the Umpires?

4. Matt M - May 27, 2010 at 1:07 PM

This sort of thing bugs me. West should never call another game involving the Yankees or Red Sox because his impartiality is in question.
    This would NEVER happen in other leagues. This would be like David Stern letting Joey Crawford referee playoff games involving the Spurs after his infamous offer to fight Tim Duncan. Wait, what’s that you say? Oh, never mind then.

5. Jonny5 - May 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Watch out boys, I hear Quatto (who now resides in Joe wests neck pouch) Hates the Sox. http://shittymovienight.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/TR-17-Quatto.JPG

6. YX - May 27, 2010 at 1:30 PM

After yesterday’s Celtics game I vowed to never speak bad about umpires again. So… good day huh.

7. Joey B - May 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM

As a RS fan, I’m not concerned. When you do the things right that you’re supposed to do right, the rest of this crap is inconsequential.

8. scatterbrian - May 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

What really sucks about this is the umpires are now part of the pre-game/pre-series story.
    @Johnny5: Open your mind…..Open your miiiind…..

9. JBerardi - May 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Letting MLB umps off the hook because they’re better than NBA refs is a little bit like letting Kim-Jung Il off the hook because, hey, at least he’s not Joseph Stalin…

Also, I can possibly say enough bad things about Joe West, so I’m not even going to try.

10. Chris W - May 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Just ask Livan Hernandez! He’ll tell you the same!

11. Jonny5 - May 27, 2010 at 2:02 PM

@Johnny5: Open your mind…..Open your miiiind….. To my extra small strike zone……….

12. scatterbrian - May 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM

West is just trying to make a buck. After all, he’s got five kids to feed, and they all live in his neck.

13. asap - May 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM

He is the most unprofessional person in his profession. Go to joewestsucks.com – pretty funny

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5843)