May 27, 2010, 11:42 AM EDT
Kyle Lohse met yesterday with a hand and wrist specialist in California and has been diagnosed with “extreme compartment syndrome,” which according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch “is a condition in which the sheath covering a muscle in the pitcher’s forearm fails to allow it to expand.”
Strauss notes that “the condition is more closely associated with distance runners and motocross riders” and “no known precedent exists for the condition” among pitchers.
Or as Lohse put it: “We’re kind of in uncharted territory here.”
There’s no official word yet on Lohse’s status, but Strauss reports that the 31-year-old right-hander will either need surgery or “a permanent role change” involving a move to the bullpen. If he does go under the knife, it would threaten his season with a recovery timetable of at least two months.
Lohse has been dealing with various forearm problems since early last season, going just 3-11 with a 5.61 ERA in 22 starts since returning from his initial stint on the disabled list. “We’re going to have to do something,” Lohse told Strauss. “I’ve tried to pitch with it. But the way it is now, there’s no way.”
Signed to a four-year, $41 million contract extension after going 15-6 with a 3.78 ERA in his first season with the Cardinals in 2008, he’s making $8.75 million this year and is owed another $11.875 million in both 2011 and 2012.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (92)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)