May 27, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Yesterday we passed along world that Dodgers righfielder Andre Ethier was likely to make his return on Sunday, his first day eligible following his DL stint. Not so fast says Joe Torre: the Dodgers may send Ethier on a minor league rehab assignment first, delaying his return to L.A.
The reasoning on this is kind of surprising. Apparently Torre watched Rafael Furcal come back from his injury on Tuesday night, when he went 0-4 with two errors, and thought that he didn’t want to see that kind of rust on Ethier. Of course Furcal spent a month on the DL, he’s older, he plays a harder defensive position and he’s, you know, not as good.
But hey, the Dodgers are winning and Joe Torre is the guy with all the World Series rings, so I suppose he gets the call when it comes to this sort of thing.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 40
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 5
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 70
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (78)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement