May 27, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Yesterday we passed along world that Dodgers righfielder Andre Ethier was likely to make his return on Sunday, his first day eligible following his DL stint. Not so fast says Joe Torre: the Dodgers may send Ethier on a minor league rehab assignment first, delaying his return to L.A.
The reasoning on this is kind of surprising. Apparently Torre watched Rafael Furcal come back from his injury on Tuesday night, when he went 0-4 with two errors, and thought that he didn’t want to see that kind of rust on Ethier. Of course Furcal spent a month on the DL, he’s older, he plays a harder defensive position and he’s, you know, not as good.
But hey, the Dodgers are winning and Joe Torre is the guy with all the World Series rings, so I suppose he gets the call when it comes to this sort of thing.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 62
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)