May 27, 2010, 11:12 AM EST
Yesterday we passed along world that Dodgers righfielder Andre Ethier was likely to make his return on Sunday, his first day eligible following his DL stint. Not so fast says Joe Torre: the Dodgers may send Ethier on a minor league rehab assignment first, delaying his return to L.A.
The reasoning on this is kind of surprising. Apparently Torre watched Rafael Furcal come back from his injury on Tuesday night, when he went 0-4 with two errors, and thought that he didn’t want to see that kind of rust on Ethier. Of course Furcal spent a month on the DL, he’s older, he plays a harder defensive position and he’s, you know, not as good.
But hey, the Dodgers are winning and Joe Torre is the guy with all the World Series rings, so I suppose he gets the call when it comes to this sort of thing.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)