May 27, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Yesterday we passed along world that Dodgers righfielder Andre Ethier was likely to make his return on Sunday, his first day eligible following his DL stint. Not so fast says Joe Torre: the Dodgers may send Ethier on a minor league rehab assignment first, delaying his return to L.A.
The reasoning on this is kind of surprising. Apparently Torre watched Rafael Furcal come back from his injury on Tuesday night, when he went 0-4 with two errors, and thought that he didn’t want to see that kind of rust on Ethier. Of course Furcal spent a month on the DL, he’s older, he plays a harder defensive position and he’s, you know, not as good.
But hey, the Dodgers are winning and Joe Torre is the guy with all the World Series rings, so I suppose he gets the call when it comes to this sort of thing.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)