May 27, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Usually these afternoon Brewers games end in a Milwaukee reliever blowing it. Today the mug was in the other hand. Or something.
Ninth inning, the Astros lead the Brew Crew 3-2. Matt Lindstrom on the hill for Houston. He gives up a single to Alcides Escobar, then after a sacrifice, he uncorks a wild pitch (note: I’m required to say the wild pitch was “uncorked.” If I didn’t the guild would fine me). Escobar on third,
Chris Carlos Gomez singles him in and we’re into extra innings.
Brad Mills sticks with Lindstrom in the tenth. Casey McGehee singles, Corey Hart flies out, George Kottaras walks, Escobar hits another single and the bases are loaded. For reasons that only God and Ken Macha knows, Randy Wolf is then sent out to pinch hit for the Brewers. Wolf strikes out, naturally. Lindstrom probably thinks he’s out of the woods. Then . . . Rickie Weeks walks on six pitches. Ballgame.
Losing on a bases loaded walk really stinks. Just groove one. Odds are fairly decent that someone will catch it, right?
Oh well, Milwaukee has to at least be happy this happened to someone else for once.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)