May 27, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Usually these afternoon Brewers games end in a Milwaukee reliever blowing it. Today the mug was in the other hand. Or something.
Ninth inning, the Astros lead the Brew Crew 3-2. Matt Lindstrom on the hill for Houston. He gives up a single to Alcides Escobar, then after a sacrifice, he uncorks a wild pitch (note: I’m required to say the wild pitch was “uncorked.” If I didn’t the guild would fine me). Escobar on third,
Chris Carlos Gomez singles him in and we’re into extra innings.
Brad Mills sticks with Lindstrom in the tenth. Casey McGehee singles, Corey Hart flies out, George Kottaras walks, Escobar hits another single and the bases are loaded. For reasons that only God and Ken Macha knows, Randy Wolf is then sent out to pinch hit for the Brewers. Wolf strikes out, naturally. Lindstrom probably thinks he’s out of the woods. Then . . . Rickie Weeks walks on six pitches. Ballgame.
Losing on a bases loaded walk really stinks. Just groove one. Odds are fairly decent that someone will catch it, right?
Oh well, Milwaukee has to at least be happy this happened to someone else for once.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)