May 27, 2010, 5:18 PM EST
Usually these afternoon Brewers games end in a Milwaukee reliever blowing it. Today the mug was in the other hand. Or something.
Ninth inning, the Astros lead the Brew Crew 3-2. Matt Lindstrom on the hill for Houston. He gives up a single to Alcides Escobar, then after a sacrifice, he uncorks a wild pitch (note: I’m required to say the wild pitch was “uncorked.” If I didn’t the guild would fine me). Escobar on third,
Chris Carlos Gomez singles him in and we’re into extra innings.
Brad Mills sticks with Lindstrom in the tenth. Casey McGehee singles, Corey Hart flies out, George Kottaras walks, Escobar hits another single and the bases are loaded. For reasons that only God and Ken Macha knows, Randy Wolf is then sent out to pinch hit for the Brewers. Wolf strikes out, naturally. Lindstrom probably thinks he’s out of the woods. Then . . . Rickie Weeks walks on six pitches. Ballgame.
Losing on a bases loaded walk really stinks. Just groove one. Odds are fairly decent that someone will catch it, right?
Oh well, Milwaukee has to at least be happy this happened to someone else for once.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)