May 27, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Usually these afternoon Brewers games end in a Milwaukee reliever blowing it. Today the mug was in the other hand. Or something.
Ninth inning, the Astros lead the Brew Crew 3-2. Matt Lindstrom on the hill for Houston. He gives up a single to Alcides Escobar, then after a sacrifice, he uncorks a wild pitch (note: I’m required to say the wild pitch was “uncorked.” If I didn’t the guild would fine me). Escobar on third,
Chris Carlos Gomez singles him in and we’re into extra innings.
Brad Mills sticks with Lindstrom in the tenth. Casey McGehee singles, Corey Hart flies out, George Kottaras walks, Escobar hits another single and the bases are loaded. For reasons that only God and Ken Macha knows, Randy Wolf is then sent out to pinch hit for the Brewers. Wolf strikes out, naturally. Lindstrom probably thinks he’s out of the woods. Then . . . Rickie Weeks walks on six pitches. Ballgame.
Losing on a bases loaded walk really stinks. Just groove one. Odds are fairly decent that someone will catch it, right?
Oh well, Milwaukee has to at least be happy this happened to someone else for once.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)