May 27, 2010, 5:44 PM EDT
The back injury that put Alfredo Aceves on the disabled list could be
season-ending and might result in surgery to repair a bulging disc in
the lower back.
Aceves stopped a throwing session Tuesday in
Tampa and is in New York to be examined by Dr. Chris Ahmad. According to
manager Joe Girardi, nobody knows when or if Aceves will try to throw
Losing Aceves would be a blow to the Yankees, because he’s really a jack-of-all trades. Without him, Chan Ho Park and David Robertson are going to have to do what they haven’t yet figured out to do this year: step it the hell up.
That sound you hear is every team with a serviceable reliever making over the league minimum preparing to make an offer to the Yankees involving cash coming back in the deal.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)