May 27, 2010, 5:44 PM EDT
The back injury that put Alfredo Aceves on the disabled list could be
season-ending and might result in surgery to repair a bulging disc in
the lower back.
Aceves stopped a throwing session Tuesday in
Tampa and is in New York to be examined by Dr. Chris Ahmad. According to
manager Joe Girardi, nobody knows when or if Aceves will try to throw
Losing Aceves would be a blow to the Yankees, because he’s really a jack-of-all trades. Without him, Chan Ho Park and David Robertson are going to have to do what they haven’t yet figured out to do this year: step it the hell up.
That sound you hear is every team with a serviceable reliever making over the league minimum preparing to make an offer to the Yankees involving cash coming back in the deal.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)