May 27, 2010, 5:44 PM EST
The back injury that put Alfredo Aceves on the disabled list could be
season-ending and might result in surgery to repair a bulging disc in
the lower back.
Aceves stopped a throwing session Tuesday in
Tampa and is in New York to be examined by Dr. Chris Ahmad. According to
manager Joe Girardi, nobody knows when or if Aceves will try to throw
Losing Aceves would be a blow to the Yankees, because he’s really a jack-of-all trades. Without him, Chan Ho Park and David Robertson are going to have to do what they haven’t yet figured out to do this year: step it the hell up.
That sound you hear is every team with a serviceable reliever making over the league minimum preparing to make an offer to the Yankees involving cash coming back in the deal.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (138)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)