May 27, 2010, 5:44 PM EST
The back injury that put Alfredo Aceves on the disabled list could be
season-ending and might result in surgery to repair a bulging disc in
the lower back.
Aceves stopped a throwing session Tuesday in
Tampa and is in New York to be examined by Dr. Chris Ahmad. According to
manager Joe Girardi, nobody knows when or if Aceves will try to throw
Losing Aceves would be a blow to the Yankees, because he’s really a jack-of-all trades. Without him, Chan Ho Park and David Robertson are going to have to do what they haven’t yet figured out to do this year: step it the hell up.
That sound you hear is every team with a serviceable reliever making over the league minimum preparing to make an offer to the Yankees involving cash coming back in the deal.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)