May 27, 2010, 5:44 PM EDT
The back injury that put Alfredo Aceves on the disabled list could be
season-ending and might result in surgery to repair a bulging disc in
the lower back.
Aceves stopped a throwing session Tuesday in
Tampa and is in New York to be examined by Dr. Chris Ahmad. According to
manager Joe Girardi, nobody knows when or if Aceves will try to throw
Losing Aceves would be a blow to the Yankees, because he’s really a jack-of-all trades. Without him, Chan Ho Park and David Robertson are going to have to do what they haven’t yet figured out to do this year: step it the hell up.
That sound you hear is every team with a serviceable reliever making over the league minimum preparing to make an offer to the Yankees involving cash coming back in the deal.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)