May 27, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
After struggling in a no-decision last week Tim Lincecum took his first loss of the season last night, giving up five or more runs in back-to-back starts for just the second time in his career.
He’d gone 88 starts since those consecutive clunkers in mid-2007 and the loss last night was also the first of Lincecum’s career in the month of May. And for the third straight start he tied a career-high with five walks, which comes after Lincecum walked a grand total of 10 batters in his first seven starts.
After the game Bruce Bochy shot down reports that the two-time Cy Young winner was dealing with a blister, but Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News suggests the manager’s denial “might be a matter of semantics” because Lincecum might be dealing with a cracked nail on the middle finger of his right hand that bothered him during spring training.
It’s obviously a credit to how amazing Lincecum has been that everyone gets worked up by two poor starts in a row, but at the same time it does seem that something is wrong. Baggarly notes that “Lincecum had both hands very conspicuously buried in the pockets of his sweatshirt while he conducted his post-game interview.” He’ll try to get back on track Monday against Colorado and the red hot Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)