May 27, 2010, 12:44 PM EST
After struggling in a no-decision last week Tim Lincecum took his first loss of the season last night, giving up five or more runs in back-to-back starts for just the second time in his career.
He’d gone 88 starts since those consecutive clunkers in mid-2007 and the loss last night was also the first of Lincecum’s career in the month of May. And for the third straight start he tied a career-high with five walks, which comes after Lincecum walked a grand total of 10 batters in his first seven starts.
After the game Bruce Bochy shot down reports that the two-time Cy Young winner was dealing with a blister, but Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News suggests the manager’s denial “might be a matter of semantics” because Lincecum might be dealing with a cracked nail on the middle finger of his right hand that bothered him during spring training.
It’s obviously a credit to how amazing Lincecum has been that everyone gets worked up by two poor starts in a row, but at the same time it does seem that something is wrong. Baggarly notes that “Lincecum had both hands very conspicuously buried in the pockets of his sweatshirt while he conducted his post-game interview.” He’ll try to get back on track Monday against Colorado and the red hot Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)