May 27, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
After struggling in a no-decision last week Tim Lincecum took his first loss of the season last night, giving up five or more runs in back-to-back starts for just the second time in his career.
He’d gone 88 starts since those consecutive clunkers in mid-2007 and the loss last night was also the first of Lincecum’s career in the month of May. And for the third straight start he tied a career-high with five walks, which comes after Lincecum walked a grand total of 10 batters in his first seven starts.
After the game Bruce Bochy shot down reports that the two-time Cy Young winner was dealing with a blister, but Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News suggests the manager’s denial “might be a matter of semantics” because Lincecum might be dealing with a cracked nail on the middle finger of his right hand that bothered him during spring training.
It’s obviously a credit to how amazing Lincecum has been that everyone gets worked up by two poor starts in a row, but at the same time it does seem that something is wrong. Baggarly notes that “Lincecum had both hands very conspicuously buried in the pockets of his sweatshirt while he conducted his post-game interview.” He’ll try to get back on track Monday against Colorado and the red hot Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)