Ubaldo Jimenez improves to 9-1 with a 0.88 ERA

May 27, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT

Last night the Diamondbacks became the latest lineup to get shut down by Ubaldo Jimenez, who tossed eight scoreless innings to improve to 9-1 with a 0.88 ERA through 10 starts. “It’s not easy to have an ERA like that young man has this late into the season,” manager Jim Tracy said afterward. “I’ve heard the term microscopic used and I think it applies.”
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com expressed a similar sentiment, writing that “it’s like Bob Gibson in 1968.” I’m all for heaping praise on Jimenez, because he’s been amazing, but how quickly we forget Zack Greinke was 8-1 with a 0.84 ERA through 10 starts … last year.
Greinke finished with a 2.16 ERA in 229 innings and following in those footsteps would surely get Jimenez over 20 wins since he’s not burdened by the Royals’ lineup. Jimenez has now allowed zero runs in five of his last eight starts.

1. Josh - May 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

What’s this guy’s contract status and how can the Red Sox get him?

2. Rob - May 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Funny story…
    I drafted Jimenez and Cliff Lee in my fantasy league and offered to trade either guy for a closer.
    Lee’s injury eventually made the decision for me, but I was “this close” to trading UJ simply because I knew more about Lee than Jimenez.

3. CG - May 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM

The sox already have 5 aces.

4. filthylucre - May 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Who gives a crap about your fairy-tale baseball team?

5. Sharon - May 27, 2010 at 10:24 AM

It wouldn’t hurt the Sox to pick up another ACE to take over for the $68 million one not performing….but how about that sweep last night…:)

6. John - May 27, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Ubaldo is locked up through 2014. Sorry Chowda-heads!!

7. Josh - May 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

But, as the old adage goes, you can never have enough pitching.

8. Mike - May 27, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Despite the recent resurgence of a certain DH I’m still more worried about the Red Sox hitting than the pitching. But then again, maybe if they weren’t shelling out so much for pitchers that have been, shall we say, less than effective they could afford another strong bat or two.

9. JP - May 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Watch. He’ll get better.

10. NICK GEERZ - May 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM

ROB LIKE THE OTHER GUYS SAY STOP UR FANTASY LAND DREAMIN.. YOU AND THE RED SOX SUCK AND UR T-SHIRTS UR HAWKING ARE PURE TRASH KEEP UP THE SHATTY WORK ROB..

11. BUSTER HYMAN - May 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM

YOUR TRASH AND SO IS YOUR PITCHING STAFF..LESTER IS THE ONLY ACE U GUYS HAVE
    BABBA BOOEY BABBA BOOEY

12. Rip Van WInkle - May 27, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Funny story… I drafted Jimenez and Cliff Lee in my fantasy league

I think you mean boring story.

13. AP - May 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I’m waiting for the follow on story about how the Diamondbacks complained about this guys throwing motion. Oh wait…that would be the White Sox…wait…Rays…

14. akbled - May 27, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I think the real story here is that he faced the Diamondbacks and only had three strikeouts. Did Mark Reynolds sit yesterday?

15. MassiveDynamic - May 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Big Deal!!! He’s pitching in the inferior, No offense NL! He’d get killed in the superior American League! And, if he is that good, the only fitting team for him is the 27 time, World Series Champions,the Legendary New York Yankees! He would look great in a NY Yankees uniform, and taking the mound to pitch in the $1.6 Billion Shrine in the Bronx called, “The House that Derek Jeter Built”,the Legendary Yankees Stadium. Power, Pride & Tradition! And, it would be Jimenez’s boyhood dream come true, to actually wear the Legendary NY Yankees Pinstripes. Only the very best players get to put on that uniform! And, the Yankees pitching guru Dave Eiland, would only improve his pitching preformance, and Mariano & Andy would take him under their wings, and amke him the very best & most feared pitcher he could be, something that he’ll never become in the weak hitting NL.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4899)