May 27, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
UPDATE: MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat passes along word that tests for appendicitis were negative. Zambrano is simply dealing with some abdominal pain and should be back on track soon.
7:11pm: Carlos Zambrano was rushed to a local Chicago hospital on Thursday afternoon after complaining of pain in his side, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. He may be dealing with a case of appendicitis, and could undergo an emergency appendectomy.
The Cubs haven’t revealed too much information, but appendectomies often sideline athletes for at least four weeks. Big Z was supposed to return to the Cubs’ rotation next week against the Pirates.
It’s not known if Zambrano will be available in relief for this weekend’s series against the Cardinals.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)