May 27, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
UPDATE: MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat passes along word that tests for appendicitis were negative. Zambrano is simply dealing with some abdominal pain and should be back on track soon.
7:11pm: Carlos Zambrano was rushed to a local Chicago hospital on Thursday afternoon after complaining of pain in his side, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. He may be dealing with a case of appendicitis, and could undergo an emergency appendectomy.
The Cubs haven’t revealed too much information, but appendectomies often sideline athletes for at least four weeks. Big Z was supposed to return to the Cubs’ rotation next week against the Pirates.
It’s not known if Zambrano will be available in relief for this weekend’s series against the Cardinals.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 22
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 53
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (159)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)