May 27, 2010, 7:39 PM EST
UPDATE: MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat passes along word that tests for appendicitis were negative. Zambrano is simply dealing with some abdominal pain and should be back on track soon.
7:11pm: Carlos Zambrano was rushed to a local Chicago hospital on Thursday afternoon after complaining of pain in his side, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. He may be dealing with a case of appendicitis, and could undergo an emergency appendectomy.
The Cubs haven’t revealed too much information, but appendectomies often sideline athletes for at least four weeks. Big Z was supposed to return to the Cubs’ rotation next week against the Pirates.
It’s not known if Zambrano will be available in relief for this weekend’s series against the Cardinals.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (152)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)