May 27, 2010, 7:39 PM EST
UPDATE: MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat passes along word that tests for appendicitis were negative. Zambrano is simply dealing with some abdominal pain and should be back on track soon.
7:11pm: Carlos Zambrano was rushed to a local Chicago hospital on Thursday afternoon after complaining of pain in his side, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. He may be dealing with a case of appendicitis, and could undergo an emergency appendectomy.
The Cubs haven’t revealed too much information, but appendectomies often sideline athletes for at least four weeks. Big Z was supposed to return to the Cubs’ rotation next week against the Pirates.
It’s not known if Zambrano will be available in relief for this weekend’s series against the Cardinals.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 30
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)