May 27, 2010, 7:39 PM EDT
UPDATE: MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat passes along word that tests for appendicitis were negative. Zambrano is simply dealing with some abdominal pain and should be back on track soon.
7:11pm: Carlos Zambrano was rushed to a local Chicago hospital on Thursday afternoon after complaining of pain in his side, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. He may be dealing with a case of appendicitis, and could undergo an emergency appendectomy.
The Cubs haven’t revealed too much information, but appendectomies often sideline athletes for at least four weeks. Big Z was supposed to return to the Cubs’ rotation next week against the Pirates.
It’s not known if Zambrano will be available in relief for this weekend’s series against the Cardinals.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (265)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)