May 28, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
We learned last week that Canada had begun an immigration crackdown and that some ballplayers had been detained at the border on their way to Toronto to face the Blue Jays. Indeed, the union had warned player agents about it and asked that they get their clients’ papers in order.
One guy who might not have had his papers in order is the Orioles’ Adam Jones who, according to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com was detained on the way into Canada this morning. Ghiroli says it wasn’t a criminal matter, and he’s apparently with the team now, so this isn’t exactly a “Midnight Express” situation, but obviously not everything went as planned today.
More later as we learn more.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)