May 28, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
We learned last week that Canada had begun an immigration crackdown and that some ballplayers had been detained at the border on their way to Toronto to face the Blue Jays. Indeed, the union had warned player agents about it and asked that they get their clients’ papers in order.
One guy who might not have had his papers in order is the Orioles’ Adam Jones who, according to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com was detained on the way into Canada this morning. Ghiroli says it wasn’t a criminal matter, and he’s apparently with the team now, so this isn’t exactly a “Midnight Express” situation, but obviously not everything went as planned today.
More later as we learn more.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)