May 28, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
We learned last week that Canada had begun an immigration crackdown and that some ballplayers had been detained at the border on their way to Toronto to face the Blue Jays. Indeed, the union had warned player agents about it and asked that they get their clients’ papers in order.
One guy who might not have had his papers in order is the Orioles’ Adam Jones who, according to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com was detained on the way into Canada this morning. Ghiroli says it wasn’t a criminal matter, and he’s apparently with the team now, so this isn’t exactly a “Midnight Express” situation, but obviously not everything went as planned today.
More later as we learn more.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47