May 28, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
We learned last week that Canada had begun an immigration crackdown and that some ballplayers had been detained at the border on their way to Toronto to face the Blue Jays. Indeed, the union had warned player agents about it and asked that they get their clients’ papers in order.
One guy who might not have had his papers in order is the Orioles’ Adam Jones who, according to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com was detained on the way into Canada this morning. Ghiroli says it wasn’t a criminal matter, and he’s apparently with the team now, so this isn’t exactly a “Midnight Express” situation, but obviously not everything went as planned today.
More later as we learn more.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 12
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 214
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 139
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (216)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)