And That Happened: Thursday's Scores and Highlights

May 28, 2010, 5:43 AM EDT

Padres brown.jpgCardinals 8, Padres 3: The Padres lost, but they looked damn good
losing in those mustard and brown throwbacks.  Pujols hit a homer. It’s hard to say that a guy with a .900+
OPS is struggling, but he is, so the dinger had to feel good. Brendan Ryan had to be feeling good too, after a 4 for 4 day with a homer, an RBI and a stolen base.

Mets 3, Phillies 0: The Phillies probably need to start calling the Mets “daddy” here pretty soon, as New York shuts out the Phillies for the third straight game.  It’s the fourth time in five games the Phillies have failed to score a run. Mike Pelfrey, this time.  Only silver lining: the last time this happened to the Phillies was 1983, a year in which they won the pennant.

Reds 8, Pirates 2: As God is my witness, Charlie Morton has started and lost four or five games in the past week.  Really, every time I look at a Pirates box score Morton is the starter and he’s given up five or six runs in two or three innings. Without looking, I’m going to guess that he’s 0-18 right now with a 11.25 ERA and has infected three dozen people with swine flu.  How close am I? I’m close, aren’t I? Yeah, I knew it.

Giants 5, Nationals 4: Freddy Sanchez got spiked in the face. In. The. Face. But he stayed in the game and a hit two-run single that put the Giants in front to stay.  “Those are the situations that you want to be in as a player,” Sanchez
said after the game. “There’s nothin’ better than gettin’ your face aerated to prepare you for the big hit,” he did not add.

Rockies 8, Diamondbacks 2: Troy Tulowitzki is on a tear. A two-run homer last night makes it five dingers in the last week. He’s on an 11-game hitting streak and has raised his OPS 100 points in May. And what the heck is up with Dan Haren? Eight runs on ten hits in six and a third, raising his ERA to 5.35 on the year.

Cubs 1, Dodgers 0: Ted Lilly shuts out the Cubbies over seven. Sure, he cheated a little bit by not standing on the rubber, but when was the last time you saw a batter who didn’t have a foot out the back of the batter’s box?

Brewers 4, Astros 3I hit this up yesterday, though when I first wrote it, I said it was Chris Gomez with the single rather than Carlos Gomez.  I guess Chris Gomez was a such a fungible journeyman for so damn long that I just figured, yeah, he could be playing for the Brewers right now.  I mean, he and Terry Mulholland are probably roommates, right?

Rays 5, White Sox 1: There hasn’t been a team this happy to change its Sox in a long time.

Royals 4, Red Sox 3: Joe West was the home plate umpire. The game took 3:03.  Dice-K walked eight guys in four and two-thirds. I’m curious to see if this was a function of the return of the deliberate, nibbling Dice-K we’ve come to know and love, or if West was squeezing the Sox because he’s a big flaming jackass.

Athletics 7, Orioles 5: Brad Bergesen was cruising until the eighth, gave up a couple of singles, left the game with a 5-2 lead and — stop me if you’ve heard this one before, Orioles fans — then watched as the bullpen frittered it away.

Twins 8, Yankees 2: Jason Kubel homers twice and racks up five RBI. Javy Vazquez’s ERA goes up to 6.86. The Yankees now embark on series against Cleveland, Baltimore and Houston.

Braves 8, Marlins 3: A rain delay knocks Tim Hudson out before he can get the win. More importantly for the Braves, the rain knocked Ricky Nolasco out and allowed them to get to the Marlins bullpen.

1. Moses Green - May 28, 2010 at 6:35 AM

That was infuriating Dice-K, and there’s no rhyme or reason to it. Joe West didn’t squeeze him once. Not once. The fearsome, free-swinging Royals must have scared him.
    I was thinking it might be catcher related, but Tek caught him last night. Searching for a reason other than “Theo totally wasted $101 million dollars” is just barking up the wrong tree.

2. Steve C - May 28, 2010 at 7:27 AM

You say nibble, I say painting the black and Joe West is a prick.
    Butler 1st inning, Crap
    DeJesus 4th Inning, Crap
    Getz, 5th
    Aviles, 5th Inning, by far the worst. If you only fee like watching 1 gameday at bat, watch this one.
    Butler, 5th inning
    Guillen, 5th inning
    I’m sure there will be a nice graphic of the Joe West strike zone somewhere later today.

3. Patrick - May 28, 2010 at 7:31 AM

I don;t know, this seems to say West may have been a little tough:

4. Steve C - May 28, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Look at West’s strike zone, You can throw the ball down the heart of the plate and you have a 10% chance that it is a ball?

5. Steve - May 28, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Nibbling???
    This was a Cowboy being a Cowboy, just calling it like he saw it.

6. Moses Green - May 28, 2010 at 7:39 AM

If you knuckleheads think that your little video game pages have anything to do with real world strikes and balls … well I’ve got some waterfront property in Ohio you might be interested in.
    The only egregious missed strike calls were on pitches where Tek set up outside and low, and had to move the glove 2 feet to catch the ball. And it’s not like Joe West has a monopoly on missing strikes that move the catcher’s glove. It’s a powerful optical illusion, and all umps do it. Pitchers and catchers know this, and if you miss the glove that badly you’re going to get a ball called.
    Dice-K had 8 walks. No other pitcher had even one for either team. Get a life guys.

7. kyle s - May 28, 2010 at 7:53 AM

nothing about mom’s basement, moses?

8. Grant - May 28, 2010 at 8:03 AM

My level of apathy is about the Orioles has reached the point that I don’t even find out if they won or lost until I read your recaps in the morning. Which means you’ve become indispensable to me, in a way. So there’s that.

I have a friend who got yelled at by an older lady for reading a book during a game the other week. His response? “At least I’m here.” Dark days.

9. Steve C - May 28, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Waterfront property in Ohio sounds kind of nice. River or lake? I’d prefer a lake I think so I could do some fishing.

10. Moses Green - May 28, 2010 at 8:21 AM

No Kyle, no off-point insults. I deal strictly in the realm of facts. Those pitch charts aren’t accurate, they don’t represent reality. They’re for entertainment purposes only.
    8 BB’s for DiceK, none for Bannister or any reliever for either team. Translation: It’s not Joe West.

11. Jonny5 - May 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Those effing Mutts had fun owning the Phillies for 3 games in a row. This is not good.

12. Simon DelMonte - May 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM

About that Phillies’ silver lining…the last time the Mets had three straight shutouts was 1988. The last time the Mets shut out the Phils three times running was 1969. You take your coughlin thatindication of victory to come, I’ll take mine.
    Captcha: Coughlin that. Wrong blog.

13. Moses Green - May 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Oceanfront. You’ll love it.

14. DGL - May 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Charlie Morton: Look out, Mike Maroth!

15. OsandRoyals - May 28, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Small correction. The Orioles bullpen didn’t fritter away the lead, Trembley did. The righthanded long reliever is put in for one out than replaced by the lefty long reliever even though they’re both roughly as good on lefthanded batters. Than Cla Meredith is put in even though he hasn’t had time to fully warm up yet.
    And Moses the pitchfx pitch locations should be accurate to the inch. however the strikezone box isn’t called accurately in reality by any umpire. Although the linked graphic looks funky since there appears to be way more balls than strikes by both teams

16. Aries - May 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I watched the Red Sox-Royals game. Even the Royals commentators were saying that Joe West’s strike zone was not consistant or accurate. Granted, Matsuzaka definitely didn’t have his best (or average) pitching, but there were calls that were all over the place. One call I remember specifically was what supposed to be a third strike, down the middle between the middle and bottom of the strike zone. It was called a ball four.

17. ecp - May 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Joe West’s strike zone last night was decidedly one of his own creation, but he was consistent with both teams and all pitchers. Dice-K also nibbled…a LOT…and he paid for it with the walks. Plus he hit a guy and gave up a wild pitch. This was on Dice-K, not Country Joe.

18. Moses Green - May 28, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Once again, pitch f/x is nowhere near as accurate as claimed. It’s true use is in analyzing trends over time, not in being specifically accurate on every pitch. Radar guns are only plus/minus a few mph accurate, and the pitch f/x location is a snapshot at the very front of the plate. The ball is falling and/or breaking after that point.
    The oft-repeated and unsubstantiated claim of accuracy within one inch is absolutely preposterous. The nearest I can find, this is based on a “test” that Sportsvision ran with a foam board mounted at the front of the plate. How rigorously scientific and not at all rigged of them. FYI – not hard to track the release point of a pitching machine. Also, their sliders aren’t so impressive.

19. Curly - May 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Hey Moses, there is waterfront property in Ohio! It’s called Lake Erie!

20. oh Hal - May 28, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Hey Moses, do you have some information on how accurate or not pitch/fx is? The fact that it measures at the front plane of the plate is a given.

21. Moses Green - May 28, 2010 at 11:52 AM

You mean do I have my own Super Pitch f/x with which I measure and calculate the efficiency of Sportsvision’s version? Then no. My point is it’s not possible to be that accurate, it’s not possible to prove it is or isn’t that accurate, the marketing claim of “within one inch” is a silly and easy claim to make since no one can prove or disprove it.
    The fact that it measure the ball at the front of the plate is not just a given, it’s relevant to the discussion of whether it can be used to determine whether specific pitches were balls or strikes. That is how it was being used in this instance, with fancy graphics somehow “showing” how Joe West is in particular incompetent at calling balls and strikes. Or biased against the Red Sox. Or something.
    I’m not offering lakefront or burning riverfront property in Ohio, Oceanfront, people. The ocean. Just don’t ask which ocean.

22. APBA Guy - May 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Love all the pitch f/x discussion.
    Watching the A’s/O’s game last night, there was a lot of truth in O’sandRoyals comment. I thought it was crazy to leave Gio in for the 7th. Why carry all those pitchers if you don’t use them? So the O’s run the score to 5-2. Game over, right?
    No. Trembley leaves a clearly tiring Bergeson in for the 8th, and he promptly gives up two hits. Trembley calls in Berken, who’s throwing hard with movement. The A’s will never hit this guy. But like a bad novel “a miracle happens” and Trembley yanks Berken after one batter in favor of Mark “Career ERA 5.02″ Hendrickson. He gets an out, gives up a run scoring single on a pitch up in the zone, then a real miracle, a bad hop that Izturis can’t handle. In comes Trembley. This time he calls for Cla Meredith. He of the 5.40 ERA this year, who promptly gives up the hardest hit ball of the game, a bases clearing double by Kouzmanoff on a mush ball, center cut.
    The A’s are like any professional team. They can hit poorly located mushballs. They don’t hit them as far as almost every other team, but they still hit them.
    Now they move on to play Detroit, where they do not have a manager who will yank his best reliever after one batter and bring in a succession of mushballers with the game on the line. I foresee good times for Tigers fans over the next few days.

23. tadthebad - May 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Take it easy, good people of Ohio. Moses is simply channeling his inner Dennis Boyd.

24. Moses Green - May 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

That is a great comment, I love me some Oil Can. He tried to make a comeback last year btw. Mike Stanley caught him for some side sessions and said his stuff was correct and tight. Too bad.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate