May 28, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Carlos Guillen is back from the disabled list after going 6-for-18 (.333) with one homer and three doubles during a five-game rehab assignment at Triple-A.
Guillen hit .311 with an .834 OPS before landing on the DL with a strained hamstring on April 23, so the Tigers’ lineup will get a nice boost from his bat. His impact defensively could be another story, as Guillen is slated to be the primary second baseman despite not playing the position regularly since way back in … well, actually he’s never been a regular second baseman, starting just 12 games there during his 13-year career.
In fact, Guillen hasn’t played a single inning at second base since he was a 23-year-old rookie in 1999. Guillen does have tons of experience at shortstop and third base, but hasn’t played either position since 2008 and is now a 34-year-old with leg problems.
However, with Brennan Boesch playing too well to bench in left field and Opening Day second baseman Scott Sizemore demoted to Triple-A, the Tigers are willing to take a chance on his defense being palatable enough to live with in the short term.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 10
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (128)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)