May 28, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Carlos Guillen is back from the disabled list after going 6-for-18 (.333) with one homer and three doubles during a five-game rehab assignment at Triple-A.
Guillen hit .311 with an .834 OPS before landing on the DL with a strained hamstring on April 23, so the Tigers’ lineup will get a nice boost from his bat. His impact defensively could be another story, as Guillen is slated to be the primary second baseman despite not playing the position regularly since way back in … well, actually he’s never been a regular second baseman, starting just 12 games there during his 13-year career.
In fact, Guillen hasn’t played a single inning at second base since he was a 23-year-old rookie in 1999. Guillen does have tons of experience at shortstop and third base, but hasn’t played either position since 2008 and is now a 34-year-old with leg problems.
However, with Brennan Boesch playing too well to bench in left field and Opening Day second baseman Scott Sizemore demoted to Triple-A, the Tigers are willing to take a chance on his defense being palatable enough to live with in the short term.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)