May 28, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Carlos Guillen is back from the disabled list after going 6-for-18 (.333) with one homer and three doubles during a five-game rehab assignment at Triple-A.
Guillen hit .311 with an .834 OPS before landing on the DL with a strained hamstring on April 23, so the Tigers’ lineup will get a nice boost from his bat. His impact defensively could be another story, as Guillen is slated to be the primary second baseman despite not playing the position regularly since way back in … well, actually he’s never been a regular second baseman, starting just 12 games there during his 13-year career.
In fact, Guillen hasn’t played a single inning at second base since he was a 23-year-old rookie in 1999. Guillen does have tons of experience at shortstop and third base, but hasn’t played either position since 2008 and is now a 34-year-old with leg problems.
However, with Brennan Boesch playing too well to bench in left field and Opening Day second baseman Scott Sizemore demoted to Triple-A, the Tigers are willing to take a chance on his defense being palatable enough to live with in the short term.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)