May 28, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Carlos Guillen is back from the disabled list after going 6-for-18 (.333) with one homer and three doubles during a five-game rehab assignment at Triple-A.
Guillen hit .311 with an .834 OPS before landing on the DL with a strained hamstring on April 23, so the Tigers’ lineup will get a nice boost from his bat. His impact defensively could be another story, as Guillen is slated to be the primary second baseman despite not playing the position regularly since way back in … well, actually he’s never been a regular second baseman, starting just 12 games there during his 13-year career.
In fact, Guillen hasn’t played a single inning at second base since he was a 23-year-old rookie in 1999. Guillen does have tons of experience at shortstop and third base, but hasn’t played either position since 2008 and is now a 34-year-old with leg problems.
However, with Brennan Boesch playing too well to bench in left field and Opening Day second baseman Scott Sizemore demoted to Triple-A, the Tigers are willing to take a chance on his defense being palatable enough to live with in the short term.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 3
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 35
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)