May 28, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse underwent surgery “fascial release surgery” of his right forearm in Los Angeles on Friday, according to a team press release.
Lohse complained of forearm discomfort following last Saturday’s start and was diagnosed with “exertional compartment syndrome” earlier this week, a rare condition in which the sheath covering a muscle fails to
allow it to expand. I’m not going to pretend I know what that means, so let’s just move on.
Lohse will begin physical therapy in a week, but because of the unique nature of the condition, there’s no clear indication of when he’ll be able to return to the mound. Eariler this week, sources told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Lohse could possibly miss the rest of the season, while Cardinals manager Tony La Russa provided Matthew Leach of MLB.com with a slightly more optimistic estimate.
“This is supposed to be a new and different kind of deal, but I was told
with the length of time we’re dealing with, it should be before
August,” manager Tony La Russa said.
Lohse, 31, is 1-4 with a 5.89 ERA through his first nine starts this season.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)