Lou Piniella not a big fan of his 'little buddy' Ken Rosenthal

May 28, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT

Last month Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com wrote a column suggesting the Cubs should fire Lou Piniella if they didn’t turn things around. This afternoon Rosenthal visited the Cubs’ clubhouse before their game against the Cardinals and … well, Piniella wasn’t exactly thrilled to see him.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune notes that “Piniella told Rosenthal they did not need to talk, and that was the end of it.” Here’s what Piniella had to say about the situation:

No, I haven’t seen my little buddy. Look, when a person doesn’t see your team play … I think he should at least see the team play before you start making comments. Outside of that, I really don’t care. He has no bearing at all on whether I have a job here or not.

Are we friends? I mean, am I looking forward to having dinner with him tonight? Absolutely not. Outside of that, are we friends? We both do things that are in the public eye. The amazing part about it is when you manage a baseball team, you taketh more than you giveth. That’s the way it is, and that’s the way it’s always been. And when the team is not playing well, for whatever reason, it’s the manager that takes the brunt of it, whether it’s justified or unjustifiied.

Rosenthal and Piniella worked together for FOX in 2006, which is where the whole “are we friends?” angle comes from.
I’m a Rosenthal fan because there’s no harder working, better connected reporter in baseball and I certainly have no problem with him opining about a team he isn’t around regularly–it is, after all, what I do here on a daily basis–but Piniella does deserve some credit for handling the situation reasonably well.

1. Robin Huud - May 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Rosenthal – just another coward reporter who spews his crap behind a microphone or a computer. It amazes me that those guys can’t even pick up a baseball much less talk about it. ESPN is a crap network anyway – full of arrogance, bull, stupid has been players and immature silly commercials. Looks like a jock convention to me.

2. Rohan Sadagopal - May 28, 2010 at 3:34 PM

@Robin Huud
    if he’s a coward, why did he show up in the Cubs clubhouse?

3. Steve - May 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM

What does ESPN have to do with anything? Rosenthal works for Fox.

4. Jamie - May 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Yeah, you tell those stupid coward “microphone and computer” reporters. Real reporters transmit their findings o’er the telegraph, like men.

5. union - May 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM

You obviously have know idea what you are talking about since A) he actually did show up to the club house and B) he doesn’t even work for ESPN. I’ll allow the whole microphone and computer thing to slide because maybe you have know idea as to how information travels in the 21st century. As for ESPN being a jock convention, well duh, it’s about sports which makes me wonder what you’re doing on this jock convention site?
    Anyway, Piniella really should be gone, I really can’t think of a another manager who has done less with so much. You can blame goats all you want, but at some point the manager (fairly or unfairly)is going to have to take the blame.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4815)