May 28, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Last month Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com wrote a column suggesting the Cubs should fire Lou Piniella if they didn’t turn things around. This afternoon Rosenthal visited the Cubs’ clubhouse before their game against the Cardinals and … well, Piniella wasn’t exactly thrilled to see him.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune notes that “Piniella told Rosenthal they did not need to talk, and that was the end of it.” Here’s what Piniella had to say about the situation:
No, I haven’t seen my little buddy. Look, when a person doesn’t see your team play … I think he should at least see the team play before you start making comments. Outside of that, I really don’t care. He has no bearing at all on whether I have a job here or not.
Are we friends? I mean, am I looking forward to having dinner with him tonight? Absolutely not. Outside of that, are we friends? We both do things that are in the public eye. The amazing part about it is when you manage a baseball team, you taketh more than you giveth. That’s the way it is, and that’s the way it’s always been. And when the team is not playing well, for whatever reason, it’s the manager that takes the brunt of it, whether it’s justified or unjustifiied.
Rosenthal and Piniella worked together for FOX in 2006, which is where the whole “are we friends?” angle comes from.
I’m a Rosenthal fan because there’s no harder working, better connected reporter in baseball and I certainly have no problem with him opining about a team he isn’t around regularly–it is, after all, what I do here on a daily basis–but Piniella does deserve some credit for handling the situation reasonably well.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 5
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)