May 28, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Last month Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com wrote a column suggesting the Cubs should fire Lou Piniella if they didn’t turn things around. This afternoon Rosenthal visited the Cubs’ clubhouse before their game against the Cardinals and … well, Piniella wasn’t exactly thrilled to see him.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune notes that “Piniella told Rosenthal they did not need to talk, and that was the end of it.” Here’s what Piniella had to say about the situation:
No, I haven’t seen my little buddy. Look, when a person doesn’t see your team play … I think he should at least see the team play before you start making comments. Outside of that, I really don’t care. He has no bearing at all on whether I have a job here or not.
Are we friends? I mean, am I looking forward to having dinner with him tonight? Absolutely not. Outside of that, are we friends? We both do things that are in the public eye. The amazing part about it is when you manage a baseball team, you taketh more than you giveth. That’s the way it is, and that’s the way it’s always been. And when the team is not playing well, for whatever reason, it’s the manager that takes the brunt of it, whether it’s justified or unjustifiied.
Rosenthal and Piniella worked together for FOX in 2006, which is where the whole “are we friends?” angle comes from.
I’m a Rosenthal fan because there’s no harder working, better connected reporter in baseball and I certainly have no problem with him opining about a team he isn’t around regularly–it is, after all, what I do here on a daily basis–but Piniella does deserve some credit for handling the situation reasonably well.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)