May 28, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
So, how many runs
is that since they took Mick Billmeyer’s binoculars away?
— Jason Weitzel of the Beerleaguer blog, wondering if it isn’t at least possible that the Phillies’ recent offensive phutility isn’t the result of no longer being able to steal the other team’s signs. I fully expect that quote to set off accusations that Beerleaguer is a self-hating Phillies blog.
For what it’s worth, HBT reader Jason Fisher has done the math for us: before Billmeyer was caught with the binoculars the Phillies were scoring 5.44 runs per game. Since he was busted it’s been 3.79 runs a game.
Coincidence? Well, yeah, probably. But I’m sure that won’t stop you Philly guys from freaking out about it.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)