Quote of the Day III: Explaining the Phillies Phutility?

May 28, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT

So, how many runs
is that since they took Mick Billmeyer’s binoculars away?

Jason Weitzel of the Beerleaguer blog, wondering if it isn’t at least possible that the Phillies’ recent offensive phutility isn’t the result of no longer being able to steal the other team’s signs. I fully expect that quote to set off accusations that Beerleaguer is a self-hating Phillies blog.

For what it’s worth, HBT reader Jason Fisher has done the math for us: before Billmeyer was caught with the binoculars the Phillies were scoring 5.44 runs per game.  Since he was busted it’s been 3.79 runs a game.

Coincidence? Well, yeah, probably. But I’m sure that won’t stop you Philly guys from freaking out about it.

1. Charles Gates - May 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM

The irony here is how Philly fans, mostly deciples of Howard Eskin the Terrible, constantly complain about how Belichek (sp?) filmed a post season practice and kept the Iggles from winning ‘the big one.’ He’s a FRAUD! Now that the Phils were caught cheating, it’s ‘all just part of the game.’
    Since I brought up the Iggles, there’s gotta be a way to tie in McNabb’s Super Bowl vomit with that of that stereotypical Phils fan, but I haven’t thought of a good way to do it yet.

2. Megary - May 28, 2010 at 12:28 PM

“But I’m sure that won’t stop you Philly guys from freaking out about it.”
    Actually, you’re making the big deal here. This is a non-issue and even you yourself, in this very post, realize it.
    However, don’t let that stop you from trying to beat down on your favorite team at any opportunity, however small. Rather sad from an otherwise brilliant writer.
    I’ll check back tomorrow to see if you have any further posts about how a certain, young Phillie fan was caught on camera voting for his favorite player!!! The shame of it all.
    Captcha: slow batches
    Indeed.

3. ThatGuy - May 28, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Now you know full well his favorite team to beat down on is the Mets… It’s just so easy

4. Luis - May 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM

“Brilliant”? Really?
    This blog is cool and all, but…the man snarks about grown men playing a child’s game while eating cereal in his pajamas. Or something.

5. Jonny5 - May 28, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I’m not bothered by the implications of the sign stealing being the only reason the Phills can hit. I mean it’s such a weak argument it can’t even be entertained. The Phillies alway hit slumps throughout the season. I can’t really explain why it is, but it is. I have a feeling this was no more than a ploy to divert some traffic to a certain blog. I mean, they won 5 of 6 after the “supposed incident” lost 2 then won 2 more. Soooooo it’s kinda laughable, even if they were up to no good.

6. Charles Gates - May 28, 2010 at 6:23 PM

WTF? You’re a Phils phan. You’re totally killing my argument by stating things like ‘small sample sizes’ and ‘random fluxuations.’ I bet you just vomited on someone intentionally to compensate for your rationality.
    Also, I’d wager you’re a closet O’s fan, like me. It’s not so bad. Blue crabs > horsemeat and Wiz anyway.
    recaptcha: chitchat example

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3458)