May 28, 2010, 8:19 AM EDT
The Chronicle’s Henry Schulman reports that the San Francisco Giants are “in the talking stages” with Pat Burrell over a minor league deal. Schulman’s source tells him that Burrell “has other options,” however.
I’m assuming those options include his recliner, beers with his dad’s friends at the VFW hall and other activities that people who can’t really play baseball anymore do, but I suppose time will tell.
Not that he would be a terrible signing for the Giants, especially as a minor league deal. I mean, he’s only 32, and in Giants years that’s like being 25, so some time in Fresno could give the kid some needed Sabean seasoning in advance of contributing to what appears like it will be a Mark DeRosa-less left field for most if not all of the rest of the season.
Burrell has played in the outfield exactly twice since 2008 so it would be an adventure, but the Giants need offense wherever they can get it at the moment.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)