May 28, 2010, 8:19 AM EDT
The Chronicle’s Henry Schulman reports that the San Francisco Giants are “in the talking stages” with Pat Burrell over a minor league deal. Schulman’s source tells him that Burrell “has other options,” however.
I’m assuming those options include his recliner, beers with his dad’s friends at the VFW hall and other activities that people who can’t really play baseball anymore do, but I suppose time will tell.
Not that he would be a terrible signing for the Giants, especially as a minor league deal. I mean, he’s only 32, and in Giants years that’s like being 25, so some time in Fresno could give the kid some needed Sabean seasoning in advance of contributing to what appears like it will be a Mark DeRosa-less left field for most if not all of the rest of the season.
Burrell has played in the outfield exactly twice since 2008 so it would be an adventure, but the Giants need offense wherever they can get it at the moment.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (76)