May 28, 2010, 8:19 AM EST
The Chronicle’s Henry Schulman reports that the San Francisco Giants are “in the talking stages” with Pat Burrell over a minor league deal. Schulman’s source tells him that Burrell “has other options,” however.
I’m assuming those options include his recliner, beers with his dad’s friends at the VFW hall and other activities that people who can’t really play baseball anymore do, but I suppose time will tell.
Not that he would be a terrible signing for the Giants, especially as a minor league deal. I mean, he’s only 32, and in Giants years that’s like being 25, so some time in Fresno could give the kid some needed Sabean seasoning in advance of contributing to what appears like it will be a Mark DeRosa-less left field for most if not all of the rest of the season.
Burrell has played in the outfield exactly twice since 2008 so it would be an adventure, but the Giants need offense wherever they can get it at the moment.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)