May 28, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
This isn’t exactly Earth-shattering news, but I’ve beaten up on Charlie Morton lately, so I feel obligated to note that he was put on the disabled list today, suggesting that his issues have been the result of a physical problem as opposed to him simply, you know, sucking. The official explanation is “shoulder fatigue.” Which I suppose could mean that he is simply sucking, but let’s give the kid the benefit of the doubt here.
Morton is 1-9 with a 9.35 ERA this season. The Pirates are 20-28 overall, but they’re a .500 team when Morton doesn’t start. I’m assuming this DL stint will, in addition to taking Morton out of the running to join the Mike Maroth 20-loss All-Stars, help the Pirates a great deal as well.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 13
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 51
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 45
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)