May 28, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
This isn’t exactly Earth-shattering news, but I’ve beaten up on Charlie Morton lately, so I feel obligated to note that he was put on the disabled list today, suggesting that his issues have been the result of a physical problem as opposed to him simply, you know, sucking. The official explanation is “shoulder fatigue.” Which I suppose could mean that he is simply sucking, but let’s give the kid the benefit of the doubt here.
Morton is 1-9 with a 9.35 ERA this season. The Pirates are 20-28 overall, but they’re a .500 team when Morton doesn’t start. I’m assuming this DL stint will, in addition to taking Morton out of the running to join the Mike Maroth 20-loss All-Stars, help the Pirates a great deal as well.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)