May 28, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
This isn’t exactly Earth-shattering news, but I’ve beaten up on Charlie Morton lately, so I feel obligated to note that he was put on the disabled list today, suggesting that his issues have been the result of a physical problem as opposed to him simply, you know, sucking. The official explanation is “shoulder fatigue.” Which I suppose could mean that he is simply sucking, but let’s give the kid the benefit of the doubt here.
Morton is 1-9 with a 9.35 ERA this season. The Pirates are 20-28 overall, but they’re a .500 team when Morton doesn’t start. I’m assuming this DL stint will, in addition to taking Morton out of the running to join the Mike Maroth 20-loss All-Stars, help the Pirates a great deal as well.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 9
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 68
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)