May 28, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com reports that the Yankees are making plans to implement the “Phil Hughes Rules” to limit the 24-year-old right-hander’s workload in his first full season as a starter.
Hughes has been fantastic, going 5-1 with a 2.72 ERA in eight starts, but according to Marchand the Yankees will likely take advantage of June’s many off days to give him extra rest between most starts.
Marchand surmises that the goal is to keep him under 175 innings for the year, which would be far less extreme than the previous “Joba Rules” given that Hughes is only on pace for about 185 innings right now (with his next start tonight against the Indians).
Joe Girardi and pitching coach Dave Eiland both sidestepped questions about Hughes’ workload, but general manager Brian Cashman explained: “That’s all up to Joe and Dave. They know just like last year with Joba what the limits are. We have pitching programs that are all based on things that have happened in recent history and past history.”
Joba Chamberlain threw 157.1 innings last season while starting 31 times and appearing out of the bullpen once, but in addition to the Yankees’ plan for his usage ineffectiveness also helped keep his workload down. Hughes is currently on pace to throw about 10 percent more pitches and log about 15 percent more innings than Chamberlain did as a 23-year-old.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)