May 29, 2010, 3:34 PM EDT
UPDATE: Great news. According to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com, a CT scan on Huff came back negative. He’ll remain at the hospital for a few hours for precautionary observation.
2:44 PM: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Huff was taken to New York Presbyterian Hospital. The good news is that he never lost consciousness and did not suffer any memory loss.
2:05 PM: David Huff was carted off the field on Saturday afternoon after being struck in the head by an Alex Rodriguez line-drive in the third inning, according to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com.
The ball appeared to hit Huff on the left side of his head, just next to the Indians logo. Rodriguez was visibly disturbed once he realized Huff was hit by the ball rounding first base, putting his hands on his head and walking towards the mound. In a truly powerful moment, Huff gave a thumbs-up to the crowd as the cart drove off the field.
Let’s just hope everything is okay. We’ll pass along an update when we get it.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)