May 29, 2010, 3:34 PM EST
UPDATE: Great news. According to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com, a CT scan on Huff came back negative. He’ll remain at the hospital for a few hours for precautionary observation.
2:44 PM: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Huff was taken to New York Presbyterian Hospital. The good news is that he never lost consciousness and did not suffer any memory loss.
2:05 PM: David Huff was carted off the field on Saturday afternoon after being struck in the head by an Alex Rodriguez line-drive in the third inning, according to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com.
The ball appeared to hit Huff on the left side of his head, just next to the Indians logo. Rodriguez was visibly disturbed once he realized Huff was hit by the ball rounding first base, putting his hands on his head and walking towards the mound. In a truly powerful moment, Huff gave a thumbs-up to the crowd as the cart drove off the field.
Let’s just hope everything is okay. We’ll pass along an update when we get it.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (243)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)