May 29, 2010, 12:51 PM EST
Edinson Volquez, who is currently working his way back from Tommy John surgery last August, threw 60 pitches at Great American Ballpark on Friday, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
“He looked great,” Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. “He threw
all his pitches. He really looked good.”
While he is on the disabled list, Volquez is concurrently serving a 50-game suspension for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. Though he is not being paid, Volquez is allowed to go out on a minor league rehab assignment during the suspension, which ends on June 13. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Volquez is “probably” a few weeks away from that.
In the meantime, Volquez is scheduled begin pitching in extended spring training games in Arizona. The Reds hope to have him back sometime after the All-Star break, whether in late July or early August. It’s hard to expect much from him, but similar to what Tim Hudson did for the Braves last season, Volquez could provide a nice late-season boost if the Reds manage to stay in the race.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)