May 29, 2010, 12:51 PM EDT
Edinson Volquez, who is currently working his way back from Tommy John surgery last August, threw 60 pitches at Great American Ballpark on Friday, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
“He looked great,” Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. “He threw
all his pitches. He really looked good.”
While he is on the disabled list, Volquez is concurrently serving a 50-game suspension for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. Though he is not being paid, Volquez is allowed to go out on a minor league rehab assignment during the suspension, which ends on June 13. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Volquez is “probably” a few weeks away from that.
In the meantime, Volquez is scheduled begin pitching in extended spring training games in Arizona. The Reds hope to have him back sometime after the All-Star break, whether in late July or early August. It’s hard to expect much from him, but similar to what Tim Hudson did for the Braves last season, Volquez could provide a nice late-season boost if the Reds manage to stay in the race.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 2
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 4
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 25
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 57
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 77
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (184)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)