May 29, 2010, 9:02 AM EDT
Last night, a source told Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News that the Giants were going to call up Buster Posey before Saturday’s game against the Diamondbacks.
On Friday afternoon, Craig pointed us to a post where Baggarly assumed Posey would play first base upon his promotion and he held true to that belief after Friday’s news:
Posey started at first base for the second consecutive time Friday
night. Cuuurious. It’s a pretty safe assumption he was doing
more than just resting his knees from catching. He was 2-for-3 with a
double, a walk and an RBI, lifting his PCL average to .349.
I think Posey will get most of his starts at first base, with Aubrey
Huff moving to left field. But Bengie Molina was hitless again Friday
night and extended his streak to 19 games without an RBI. He’s hitting
just .203 in May.
In other words, as opposed to last September, Posey will actually play this time.
Posey, 23, is batting .349/.442/.552 with six home runs and 32 RBI over 172 at-bats with Triple-A Fresno this season. The 2008 first-round pick has a .333/.427/.542 batting line in parts of three minor league seasons. Even better, he has a 102/98 K/BB ratio in 750 plate appearances. He’ll bring some much needed patience to a lineup that has severely lacked it for quite some time now.
By the way, Posey will be a “Super Two” if he is up in the big leagues to stay. Remember, he already has 33 days of service time due to his call-up last season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)