May 29, 2010, 10:05 PM EDT
The Angels beat the Mariners in the 10th inning Saturday thanks to a walkoff grand slam delivered by first baseman Kendry Morales. And that’s where the fun ended.
Morales got airborne as he neared a pile-up of Angels players at home plate and injured his ankle on the way down. He looked to be in a good deal of pain and had to be carted off the field after lying in the batter’s box for several minutes. The Halos didn’t reveal much information after the game, but X-rays eventually revealed a fracture in his lower left leg, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The 26-year-old Morales is batting .290 with a .346 on-base percentage, 11 home runs and 39 RBI in 51 games this year. There’s a strong chance that he could be out for several months.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)