May 29, 2010, 10:05 PM EST
The Angels beat the Mariners in the 10th inning Saturday thanks to a walkoff grand slam delivered by first baseman Kendry Morales. And that’s where the fun ended.
Morales got airborne as he neared a pile-up of Angels players at home plate and injured his ankle on the way down. He looked to be in a good deal of pain and had to be carted off the field after lying in the batter’s box for several minutes. The Halos didn’t reveal much information after the game, but X-rays eventually revealed a fracture in his lower left leg, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The 26-year-old Morales is batting .290 with a .346 on-base percentage, 11 home runs and 39 RBI in 51 games this year. There’s a strong chance that he could be out for several months.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)