May 29, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
In a bit of a surprise move, the Tigers will recall right-hander Max Scherzer from Triple-A Toledo to start against the Athletics on Sunday, according to Jason Beck of MLB.com.
The Tigers were clearly headed in a different direction after Sunday’s projected starter Armando Galarraga pitched 1 2/3 innings of relief during Friday’s 5-4 loss. Some thought it was done so that Justin Verlander could simply pitch on regular rest, but the Tigers have apparently been encouraged enough by Scherzer’s progress in the minor leagues.
Scherzer was demoted to Triple-A Toledo on May 16 after going 1-4 with a 7.29 ERA and 1.67 WHIP over his first eight starts. After making some mechanical tweaks, Scherzer rediscovered his velocity and allowed just one run over two starts with the Mud Hens (0.50 ERA), posting a 17/2 K/BB ratio in 15 innings.
Obviously there were different motivations for sending each pitcher to the minors, but we’ll soon see if Scherzer can be this year’s version of Ricky Nolasco.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 0
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 63
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)