May 29, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
In a bit of a surprise move, the Tigers will recall right-hander Max Scherzer from Triple-A Toledo to start against the Athletics on Sunday, according to Jason Beck of MLB.com.
The Tigers were clearly headed in a different direction after Sunday’s projected starter Armando Galarraga pitched 1 2/3 innings of relief during Friday’s 5-4 loss. Some thought it was done so that Justin Verlander could simply pitch on regular rest, but the Tigers have apparently been encouraged enough by Scherzer’s progress in the minor leagues.
Scherzer was demoted to Triple-A Toledo on May 16 after going 1-4 with a 7.29 ERA and 1.67 WHIP over his first eight starts. After making some mechanical tweaks, Scherzer rediscovered his velocity and allowed just one run over two starts with the Mud Hens (0.50 ERA), posting a 17/2 K/BB ratio in 15 innings.
Obviously there were different motivations for sending each pitcher to the minors, but we’ll soon see if Scherzer can be this year’s version of Ricky Nolasco.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)