May 29, 2010, 6:02 PM EDT
In a bit of a surprise move, the Tigers will recall right-hander Max Scherzer from Triple-A Toledo to start against the Athletics on Sunday, according to Jason Beck of MLB.com.
The Tigers were clearly headed in a different direction after Sunday’s projected starter Armando Galarraga pitched 1 2/3 innings of relief during Friday’s 5-4 loss. Some thought it was done so that Justin Verlander could simply pitch on regular rest, but the Tigers have apparently been encouraged enough by Scherzer’s progress in the minor leagues.
Scherzer was demoted to Triple-A Toledo on May 16 after going 1-4 with a 7.29 ERA and 1.67 WHIP over his first eight starts. After making some mechanical tweaks, Scherzer rediscovered his velocity and allowed just one run over two starts with the Mud Hens (0.50 ERA), posting a 17/2 K/BB ratio in 15 innings.
Obviously there were different motivations for sending each pitcher to the minors, but we’ll soon see if Scherzer can be this year’s version of Ricky Nolasco.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 10
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 129
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)