May 29, 2010, 5:12 PM EST
As far as I’m concerned, every team makes a concerted effort to get their players represented in the All-Star game, but this Associated Press report makes it look like the Marlins might be pushing it a little bit:
If a fan fills out 200 All-Star ballots, available at any of 30
locations around Sun Life Stadium, the Marlins will reward him or her
with two tickets to an upcoming home game.
There’s two caveats:
All eight Marlins on the ballot must be voted for every time, and the
ballots need to be turned in by the conclusion of the sixth inning.
The Marlins are offering smaller prizes for 50 or 100 completed ballots,
such as a Hanley Ramirez figurine.
Okay. Two things. One, the Marlins have a hard enough time getting their fans to come out to the ballpark, so I’m guessing only a small minority will actually be willing to fill out 200 ballots. And two, if there is some Marlins’ superfan who is willing to go all “Sanchez, Uggla, Ramirez, Cantu, Baker, Coghlan, Maybin, Ross” on the ballot 200 times, well, God bless ‘em. The Marlins need more fans like you. Why not get rewarded for your efforts?
It’s not like there’s much integrity in the voting process anyway. Did ya’ notice Jimmy Rollins is currently the leading vote-getter for the shortstop position despite only playing in 12 games this season? Okay, so let’s not go crazy here. Besides, Hanley Ramirez could use the boost.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)