May 29, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
As far as I’m concerned, every team makes a concerted effort to get their players represented in the All-Star game, but this Associated Press report makes it look like the Marlins might be pushing it a little bit:
If a fan fills out 200 All-Star ballots, available at any of 30
locations around Sun Life Stadium, the Marlins will reward him or her
with two tickets to an upcoming home game.
There’s two caveats:
All eight Marlins on the ballot must be voted for every time, and the
ballots need to be turned in by the conclusion of the sixth inning.
The Marlins are offering smaller prizes for 50 or 100 completed ballots,
such as a Hanley Ramirez figurine.
Okay. Two things. One, the Marlins have a hard enough time getting their fans to come out to the ballpark, so I’m guessing only a small minority will actually be willing to fill out 200 ballots. And two, if there is some Marlins’ superfan who is willing to go all “Sanchez, Uggla, Ramirez, Cantu, Baker, Coghlan, Maybin, Ross” on the ballot 200 times, well, God bless ’em. The Marlins need more fans like you. Why not get rewarded for your efforts?
It’s not like there’s much integrity in the voting process anyway. Did ya’ notice Jimmy Rollins is currently the leading vote-getter for the shortstop position despite only playing in 12 games this season? Okay, so let’s not go crazy here. Besides, Hanley Ramirez could use the boost.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)