May 29, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
The Phillies hadn’t scored a run in 30 innings dating back to Sunday until Raul Ibanez knocked in Ryan Howard with a fourth-inning triple on Friday night. The Phillies added two more runs and defeated the Marlins 3-2 to end a five-game losing streak.
Shane Victorino had my favorite quote of the night (via Martin Frank of the News Journal):
“We were all excited,” Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino
said. “We forgot what it was like. We were shaking hands and I forgot
what it was like to high-five guys after a game. My hands were
With the win, the Phillies maintained their 1 1/2 game lead over the Braves in the National League East, but it wasn’t all good news on Friday night. According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Placido Polanco will undergo an MRI before Saturday’s game, the result of lingering soreness in his left elbow after being plunked by Tim Hudson on April 21. Still, Polanco is batting .313/.352/.469 with three homers and eight RBI through 96 at-bats this month.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11