May 29, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
In one of the better pitchers’ duels I’ve had the pleasure of seeing this season, Johan Santana and Yovani Gallardo swapped zeroes over the first eight innings of Friday’s game. The Brewers eventually won the game 2-0 on a walkoff two-run blast by Corey Hart off Ryota Igarashi in the bottom of the ninth inning, ending a 35-inning scoreless streak and an 86-inning homerless streak by Mets’ hurlers.
I’m still wondering why Santana, who was only at 105 pitches after eight innings, didn’t get a chance to decide his own fate.
Manuel explained his decision to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com:
“Once he had doubled, fought through the eighth, I didn’t think it would
be a good move,” Manuel said of Santana’s continuing. “And Fielder, I
think, was seeing him pretty good anyway. I didn’t want to chance him to
lose that ballgame out there after the way he had performed.“
Anyway, Feliciano retired Fielder on a groundball to David Wright, but then Igarashi was brought in to face a series of right-handed hitters. Igarashi gave up a single to Ryan Braun, then retired Casey McGehee on a flyball to right, but them, boom, a two-out, two-run shot by Hart. Game over.
Santana told Rubin that he understood Manuel’s decision:
“At that point right there, Jerry decided to bring in Feliciano, but I
was fine. … He decided to go to the bullpen and that’s about it.
way everything was going — the situation, the atmosphere, everything
— you don’t want to come out of the game, for sure,” Santana continued.
“At the same time, we were playing baseball and trying to win the
That makes one of us.
*Note: Admittedly, I got the whole Santana ground-rule double thing wrong. Jerry isn’t that crazy. But I stand by my point that he should have been left in the game.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)