May 30, 2010, 2:04 PM EDT
Reds first baseman Joey Votto will miss his fifth consecutive game on Sunday due to a stiff neck. He ran and threw on Saturday, according to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon, and will try to take batting practice this afternoon.
But he’s unlikely to return to the Cincinnati starting lineup until Monday, or maybe even Tuesday when the club begins a crucial three-game set with the Cardinals.
“I feel better,” Votto said. “It’s hard to go from nothing to a game
without batting practice. I anticipate I will hit today, do my
exercise, running and throwing. We’ll see how it feels from there.”
The 26-year-old Votto is batting .312 with a 961 OPS, 10 home runs and 33 RBI through 170 at-bats this season and the Reds hold a two-game lead over the Cards in the National League Central.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (92)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)