May 30, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The Tigers made the right move in demoting Max Scherzer to Triple-A Toledo two weeks ago after he rattled off a 1-4 record, a 7.29 ERA and a 1.67 WHIP through his first eight starts in a Detroit uniform. And it will really seem like the right move now.
Scherzer, 25, allowed just one run over two starts during his time with the Toledo Mud Hens and tallied a 17/2 K/BB ratio in 15 innings. He was called back to the big leagues on Sunday morning and just completed 5 2/3 innings of scoreless ball against the A’s, striking out a career-high 14. The Tigers won 10-2 and Scherzer allowed only two hits.
Scherzer is a talented kid and should be an asset to the Tigers’ staff for many years to come. He simply struggled with his confidence through the first six weeks of the regular season and had a hard time adjusting to life in the American League, where pitchers are forced to face an extra highly-paid slugger — the DH.
The fact is he posted a 4.12 ERA and a 174/63 K/BB ratio in 170 1/3 innings for the Diamondbacks last season and is plenty capable of replicating those kind of numbers in the AL Central.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut