May 30, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The Tigers made the right move in demoting Max Scherzer to Triple-A Toledo two weeks ago after he rattled off a 1-4 record, a 7.29 ERA and a 1.67 WHIP through his first eight starts in a Detroit uniform. And it will really seem like the right move now.
Scherzer, 25, allowed just one run over two starts during his time with the Toledo Mud Hens and tallied a 17/2 K/BB ratio in 15 innings. He was called back to the big leagues on Sunday morning and just completed 5 2/3 innings of scoreless ball against the A’s, striking out a career-high 14. The Tigers won 10-2 and Scherzer allowed only two hits.
Scherzer is a talented kid and should be an asset to the Tigers’ staff for many years to come. He simply struggled with his confidence through the first six weeks of the regular season and had a hard time adjusting to life in the American League, where pitchers are forced to face an extra highly-paid slugger — the DH.
The fact is he posted a 4.12 ERA and a 174/63 K/BB ratio in 170 1/3 innings for the Diamondbacks last season and is plenty capable of replicating those kind of numbers in the AL Central.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 64
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (98)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)