May 30, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
The Tigers made the right move in demoting Max Scherzer to Triple-A Toledo two weeks ago after he rattled off a 1-4 record, a 7.29 ERA and a 1.67 WHIP through his first eight starts in a Detroit uniform. And it will really seem like the right move now.
Scherzer, 25, allowed just one run over two starts during his time with the Toledo Mud Hens and tallied a 17/2 K/BB ratio in 15 innings. He was called back to the big leagues on Sunday morning and just completed 5 2/3 innings of scoreless ball against the A’s, striking out a career-high 14. The Tigers won 10-2 and Scherzer allowed only two hits.
Scherzer is a talented kid and should be an asset to the Tigers’ staff for many years to come. He simply struggled with his confidence through the first six weeks of the regular season and had a hard time adjusting to life in the American League, where pitchers are forced to face an extra highly-paid slugger — the DH.
The fact is he posted a 4.12 ERA and a 174/63 K/BB ratio in 170 1/3 innings for the Diamondbacks last season and is plenty capable of replicating those kind of numbers in the AL Central.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)