May 30, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
According to the Indians’ official Twitter feed, center fielder Grady Sizemore will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery next week in Vail, Colorado and will miss at least the next six-to-eight weeks, and likely more.
Sizemore was placed on the disabled list in mid-May with a deep bone bruise in his knee. Further testing must have revealed something much more serious, because contusions never lead to surgical procedures.
The 27-year-old was off to a career-worst start this season, batting just .211 with a .271 on-base percentage, zero home runs and only 13 RBI through his first 138 at-bats. Maybe the surgery will eventually help him snap out of the funk. Trevor Crowe will see regular playing time in center for the Tribe over the next two months.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)