May 30, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
According to the Indians’ official Twitter feed, center fielder Grady Sizemore will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery next week in Vail, Colorado and will miss at least the next six-to-eight weeks, and likely more.
Sizemore was placed on the disabled list in mid-May with a deep bone bruise in his knee. Further testing must have revealed something much more serious, because contusions never lead to surgical procedures.
The 27-year-old was off to a career-worst start this season, batting just .211 with a .271 on-base percentage, zero home runs and only 13 RBI through his first 138 at-bats. Maybe the surgery will eventually help him snap out of the funk. Trevor Crowe will see regular playing time in center for the Tribe over the next two months.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)