May 30, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
According to the Indians’ official Twitter feed, center fielder Grady Sizemore will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery next week in Vail, Colorado and will miss at least the next six-to-eight weeks, and likely more.
Sizemore was placed on the disabled list in mid-May with a deep bone bruise in his knee. Further testing must have revealed something much more serious, because contusions never lead to surgical procedures.
The 27-year-old was off to a career-worst start this season, batting just .211 with a .271 on-base percentage, zero home runs and only 13 RBI through his first 138 at-bats. Maybe the surgery will eventually help him snap out of the funk. Trevor Crowe will see regular playing time in center for the Tribe over the next two months.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 95
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 148
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (148)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)