May 30, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
According to the Indians’ official Twitter feed, center fielder Grady Sizemore will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery next week in Vail, Colorado and will miss at least the next six-to-eight weeks, and likely more.
Sizemore was placed on the disabled list in mid-May with a deep bone bruise in his knee. Further testing must have revealed something much more serious, because contusions never lead to surgical procedures.
The 27-year-old was off to a career-worst start this season, batting just .211 with a .271 on-base percentage, zero home runs and only 13 RBI through his first 138 at-bats. Maybe the surgery will eventually help him snap out of the funk. Trevor Crowe will see regular playing time in center for the Tribe over the next two months.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 39
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)