May 31, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Rosenthal’s latest column reveals that the Diamondbacks “are discussing internally the possibility” of trading starters Dan Haren and Edwin Jackson. That sounds about two steps removed from something actually happening, but let’s talk about it anyway.
Haren would be a great pickup by a contender. Sure, he’s got a 5.56 ERA, but his K/9 ratio (9.2) and his K/BB (5.07) are just spiffy. Ground balls with eyes? A few too many dying quails? Maybe. Fact is, the guy is a freakin’ horse, having logged no fewer than 216 innings since coming over to Oakland in the Mark Mulder deal.
Jackson is obviously less of a prize. Electric when he’s on but frustratingly inconsistent, he has earned far more of his 6.03 ERA than Haren has. He’s a play for starting depth more than anything. And he could be a good one at that. After all, he was a part of the 2008 Rays rotation, so you can win with this guy.
I think the larger point to be taken from this is that the starting pitching pool at this year’s deadline — already pretty deep — is getting deeper.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)