Roberto Alomar wants a front-office job with the Blue Jays

May 31, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT

Roberto Alomar will probably be elected into the Hall of Fame this year after coming up eight votes short in his first time on the ballot, but as James Hall of MLB.com reports the 12-time All-Star also has his eye on a front-office job:

I’m almost ready. I think after this year I’m going to go up there. I would love to work for the Blue Jays. Anywhere they need me. If they need me for fielding, or hitting, or stolen bases, I think the game of baseball now is lacking the little things, the things that [can be done] to win games. I think I can help them with that, mainly their mind and how to help them win some games. I always say one day I will work for baseball, and I would love to work for the Blue Jays.

Alomar will represent the Blue Jays at next month’s draft, but there’s no word yet on whether the team has plans to offer him a full-time gig. If they don’t and he has to look elsewhere for a coaching or front-office job, it’ll be an interesting test of whether his spitting on an umpire in 1996 and then leaving the game on a low note in 2002-2004 takes precedence over a Hall of Fame career and reputation as a smart player. It shouldn’t, of course, and my guess is that it won’t.

1. Andrew - May 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I’m sure the jays can find him a job that he enjoys and helps the organization.

2. TimberLee - May 31, 2010 at 3:21 PM

“It shouldn’t…and…it won’t”, but I’m going to bring it up again anyway.

3. uncle jumpy - May 31, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Front office job with the Jays ? not a problem , as long as he doesn’t spit in the owners face . Class act Robby .

4. BB3 - Jun 1, 2010 at 12:39 AM

You must remember why he spit. He was cursed at and then racially slurred by the umpire. Frustration over poor play and very bad calls and then the racial slam against him and his mother was too much for a man of Alomar’s generally high standards to bear and he snapped. He regretted the spitting afterwards and apologized all around, but held his ground against the umpire as one who was unfit for the game in both his ability and his personality.

5. Pistol - Jun 1, 2010 at 2:00 AM

So Alomar wants a front office job with the Jays , how about starting at the bottom and clean the restrooms and work his way up the latter. Not many people start at the top .

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3926)