Victory has never hurt so bad: Orlando Hudson hurt on game-ending catch

May 31, 2010, 9:42 AM EST

Denard Span catch.jpgKendry Morales hurt himself after a walkoff homer on Saturday.  Another bittersweet game-ending play occurred last night as Denard Span’s awesome game-ending catch in last night’s Rangers-Twins tilt resulted in Orlando Hudson writhing on the ground.

The game’s final out occurred on a pop fly that was heading towards no-man’s land between second base and centerfield.  Span turned on the afterburners to charge the ball, calling off Orlando Hudson, who was racing back for it himself.  Hudson couldn’t see Span waving him off because Hudson was looking back over his shoulder while running for the ball. I’m assuming the crowd noise drowned out the yo la tengo.

The result: Span’s left leg clipped Hudson’s right, sending both of them flying.  Span caught the ball and came up holding his manly bits, but generally no worse for wear. Hudson stayed on the ground writing, having apparently hurt his hand.  Check it out here. Hudson had X-rays after the game, but the results won’t be known until today.

The Morales injury has managers reconsidering post-victory celebrations today.  No word on whether the Hudson injury will have managers re-thinking game-winning catches.

1. Karl - May 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM

What about Denard’s comment after the game? “My package is burning.” Classic, it makes me love him even more now.

2. Patrick - May 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Ow? :(

3. will - May 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I know it’s gauche to comment on typos like this, but the image is hilarious:

stayed on the ground writing

4. APBA Guy - May 31, 2010 at 12:45 PM

The super-slo replays showed O-dogs glove ramming Span’s crotch area with his glove as both were heading down. At the speeds they were running I’m assuming it was painful. Me, I’d probably still be paralyzed. I’m guessing Kurkjian won’t be using his “hard men playing a hard game” tag line to describe this play.

5. SawItComing - May 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I watched Hudson all of last year when he was with the Dodgers, and the man is either deaf, or just does not pay attention to anyone calling him off.
    Countless times he would wander into right field when Ethier clearly had the easier play, and his inability or unwillingness to hear almost led to a number of collisions.
    Kudos to Hudson for always going at it hard, but can’t say I didn’t see this one coming.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (3946)