May 31, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Last night’s game-ending collision with Denard Span left Orlando Hudson with an injured wrist and X-rays taken afterward were inconclusive, so the veteran second baseman is now headed for a CT scan.
Hudson didn’t travel with the team to Seattle, so at the very least he seems unlikely to play in the four-game series against the Mariners and the Twins will hold their breath hoping he avoids a serious injury.
Signed to a one-year, $5 million contract this offseason Hudson has been a perfect fit for the Twins both offensively and defensively, sliding into the No. 2 spot in the batting order between Span and Joe Mauer while hitting .305 with a .377 on-base percentage and 26/20 K/BB ratio.
Minnesota got a combined .209 batting average and .302 OBP from second basemen last season, so the improvement from Hudson has been an underrated factor in the team’s strong start. Alexi Casilla will likely fill in until Hudson returns, although it’s possible the Twins could turn to Triple-A shortstop Trevor Plouffe at second base if Hudson heads to the disabled list.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)