Jun 1, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez delivered his 20th career grand slam yesterday after Mark Teixeira was intentionally walked in front of him, moving past Eddie Murray into third place all time behind only Manny Ramirez with 21 and Lou Gehrig with 23.
Rodriguez has come to the plate with the bases loaded 243 times during his career, hitting .350 with a .710 slugging percentage and 229 RBIs. He’s now 5-for-5 with three homers and 18 RBIs following intentional walks to Teixeira and has hit a grand slam in each of the past three plate appearances when someone was intentionally walked to load the bases in front of him.
“I would appreciate if we keep these numbers to ourselves and not share them with any other managers,” Rodriguez joked to reporters afterward.
With the grand slam Rodriguez is now just 10 homers shy of joining Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., and Sammy Sosa in the 600-homer club. He should be able to pass Sosa (609) by the end of this season and Griffey (630) by the end of next season, with an outside chance of also eclipsing Mays (660) late in 2011.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (92)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)