Jun 1, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse was back in the Cardinals’ clubhouse yesterday following forearm surgery that’s expected to sideline him for at least two months, but general manager John Mozeliak said the team is unlikely to pursue a veteran replacement for the rotation in part because they expect Brad Penny to return soon.
Penny is on the disabled list with a strained muscle in his upper back and has yet to resume throwing, but Mozeliak told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he could rejoin the rotation as soon as the middle of this month.
Penny looked like another scrap-heap success story for pitching coach Dave Duncan when he started 3-0 with a 0.94 ERA, but he then lost four straight games while falling back into his old fastball-reliant habits and was placed on the DL following back-to-back ugly outings. However, in nine total starts he’s 3-4 with a 3.23 ERA and 35/9 K/BB ratio in 55.2 innings.
While the Cardinals hope Lohse can pitch again this season and wait for Penny to return, Triple-A call-ups P.J. Walters and Adam Ottavino have been forced into action as the fourth and fifth starters behind Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright, and Jaime Garcia. As a group St. Louis’ rotation leads the NL with a 2.97 ERA, and San Diego (3.12) and San Francisco (3.26) are the only other teams below 3.60.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)