Jun 1, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Derek Holland’s fastball is typically 92-93 miles per hour, but he was throwing just 86-88 mph in the first inning of Sunday night’s start against the Twins. His velocity eventually rose to 90-91 mph, but after several mound visits from the manager, pitching coach, and trainer the Rangers pulled the 23-year-old southpaw from the game in the second inning.
Holland met with doctors yesterday and has been diagnosed with “mild left rotator cuff inflammation” in his shoulder, with Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reporting that he’ll be placed on the disabled list today. According to Grant he’ll be shut down for at least 3-5 days before hopefully resuming a throwing program, but there’s no timetable for his return to the rotation.
Holland is among the most promising young left-handers in baseball and went 2-0 with a 2.60 ERA and 15/3 K/BB ratio in his first three starts after being called up from Triple-A last month. He was used as a reliever last Wednesday and was “off” from the first pitch against Minnesota. Tommy Hunter has been rehabbing an oblique injury of his own at Triple-A and is the favorite to replace Holland in the rotation.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)