Jun 1, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Derek Holland’s fastball is typically 92-93 miles per hour, but he was throwing just 86-88 mph in the first inning of Sunday night’s start against the Twins. His velocity eventually rose to 90-91 mph, but after several mound visits from the manager, pitching coach, and trainer the Rangers pulled the 23-year-old southpaw from the game in the second inning.
Holland met with doctors yesterday and has been diagnosed with “mild left rotator cuff inflammation” in his shoulder, with Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reporting that he’ll be placed on the disabled list today. According to Grant he’ll be shut down for at least 3-5 days before hopefully resuming a throwing program, but there’s no timetable for his return to the rotation.
Holland is among the most promising young left-handers in baseball and went 2-0 with a 2.60 ERA and 15/3 K/BB ratio in his first three starts after being called up from Triple-A last month. He was used as a reliever last Wednesday and was “off” from the first pitch against Minnesota. Tommy Hunter has been rehabbing an oblique injury of his own at Triple-A and is the favorite to replace Holland in the rotation.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)