Jun 1, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: Lineups were just announced for tonight’s Yankees-Orioles tilt. The Captain will play. Damn. Now I owe Nick Swisher a million bucks. Hope he takes a check.
11:15 A.M. Derek Jeter got plunked on the leg during yesterday’s game and ended up leaving when his hamstring stiffened up.
The injury is being characterized as minor, but when asked if Jeter would go in tonight’s game against the Orioles, Joe Girardi said they’d have to wait and see. Nick
Johnson Swisher is more confident, however, saying “He’ll be back. I bet you a million dollars he’ll be in the lineup.” And I suppose he probably will be, Giradi’s caution notwithstanding.
Can’t help but wonder if he should be, though. The opponent is Baltimore, the player in question is getting older and the season is still young. No one on the planet is ever going to question Jeter’s toughness, so he has nothing to prove here. But there is at least a little something to be gained, is there not, by giving the Captain an extra day to stretch out the kink in that hamstring? This is especially true now that he looks to be climbing out of his sluggish start (he’s 17 for his last 35). Why risk a nagging ache when a day off against the worst team in baseball may keep you that much fresher?
No, this isn’t the most important thing in the world. I guess more than anything I wonder if Girardi actually makes this call or if Jeter does.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)