Jun 1, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: Lineups were just announced for tonight’s Yankees-Orioles tilt. The Captain will play. Damn. Now I owe Nick Swisher a million bucks. Hope he takes a check.
11:15 A.M. Derek Jeter got plunked on the leg during yesterday’s game and ended up leaving when his hamstring stiffened up.
The injury is being characterized as minor, but when asked if Jeter would go in tonight’s game against the Orioles, Joe Girardi said they’d have to wait and see. Nick
Johnson Swisher is more confident, however, saying “He’ll be back. I bet you a million dollars he’ll be in the lineup.” And I suppose he probably will be, Giradi’s caution notwithstanding.
Can’t help but wonder if he should be, though. The opponent is Baltimore, the player in question is getting older and the season is still young. No one on the planet is ever going to question Jeter’s toughness, so he has nothing to prove here. But there is at least a little something to be gained, is there not, by giving the Captain an extra day to stretch out the kink in that hamstring? This is especially true now that he looks to be climbing out of his sluggish start (he’s 17 for his last 35). Why risk a nagging ache when a day off against the worst team in baseball may keep you that much fresher?
No, this isn’t the most important thing in the world. I guess more than anything I wonder if Girardi actually makes this call or if Jeter does.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)