Jun 1, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT
We were hearing various tweets and emanations from the Mets this morning that they weren’t really interested in Willis, what with already having their own walk-happy lefty. At least Willis is agreeable, however, so you think they’d rather have him around to walk people as opposed to Oliver Perez.
Mostly, though, this illustrates the flexibility of the word “interested.” I’m interested in having Willis come to my house to tell me stories about baseball and teach my son how to throw a curveball, but it’s not so great an interest that I’m going to pursue it.
I think that may be the case with a lot of these teams. The Dbacks have a need to try something — anything — in their bullpen. The other guys are probably just saying nice things in response to a reporters’ inquiry about a basically free pitcher. Because really, for as much as I love me some D-Train and want him to succeed, I’m not sure how he helps anyone at the moment.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8