Jun 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Jayson Stark points out something I hadn’t noticed: Jamie Moyer is four homer runs allowed away from becoming the all-time leader in that category. When he does it, he’ll pass pformer Phillie Robin Roberts for the title.
A partner in my old law office once had a $100 million judgment entered
against his client following a month-long trial. We tried to give him crap over it and he said, in all seriousness, “anyone can win a $50,000 case, but it takes one hell of a lawyer to lose a
$100 million case.”
And he was right about that. No one would ever give
some schmuck like me that kind of responsibility, and no one would ever give an ineffective pitcher so many chances to give up long bombs. It’s like that with a lot of records. A Hall of Fame hitter is the all-time strikeout leader. Nolan Ryan is the modern-era leader in games lost. The all-time blown saves list is filled with elite relievers.
Baseball is a game of failure (or so the saying goes). For a pitcher, giving up a home run is a failure of sorts. But being around to give up as many as Jamie Moyer has is a testament to how someone works around their failures and compensates for them, thereby allowing them to, um, fail another day.
There’s something kind of nice about that.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 23
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 82
- The Lester trade is a win-win 110
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (110)