Jun 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Jayson Stark points out something I hadn’t noticed: Jamie Moyer is four homer runs allowed away from becoming the all-time leader in that category. When he does it, he’ll pass pformer Phillie Robin Roberts for the title.
A partner in my old law office once had a $100 million judgment entered
against his client following a month-long trial. We tried to give him crap over it and he said, in all seriousness, “anyone can win a $50,000 case, but it takes one hell of a lawyer to lose a
$100 million case.”
And he was right about that. No one would ever give
some schmuck like me that kind of responsibility, and no one would ever give an ineffective pitcher so many chances to give up long bombs. It’s like that with a lot of records. A Hall of Fame hitter is the all-time strikeout leader. Nolan Ryan is the modern-era leader in games lost. The all-time blown saves list is filled with elite relievers.
Baseball is a game of failure (or so the saying goes). For a pitcher, giving up a home run is a failure of sorts. But being around to give up as many as Jamie Moyer has is a testament to how someone works around their failures and compensates for them, thereby allowing them to, um, fail another day.
There’s something kind of nice about that.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)