Jun 1, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
Jayson Stark points out something I hadn’t noticed: Jamie Moyer is four homer runs allowed away from becoming the all-time leader in that category. When he does it, he’ll pass pformer Phillie Robin Roberts for the title.
A partner in my old law office once had a $100 million judgment entered
against his client following a month-long trial. We tried to give him crap over it and he said, in all seriousness, “anyone can win a $50,000 case, but it takes one hell of a lawyer to lose a
$100 million case.”
And he was right about that. No one would ever give
some schmuck like me that kind of responsibility, and no one would ever give an ineffective pitcher so many chances to give up long bombs. It’s like that with a lot of records. A Hall of Fame hitter is the all-time strikeout leader. Nolan Ryan is the modern-era leader in games lost. The all-time blown saves list is filled with elite relievers.
Baseball is a game of failure (or so the saying goes). For a pitcher, giving up a home run is a failure of sorts. But being around to give up as many as Jamie Moyer has is a testament to how someone works around their failures and compensates for them, thereby allowing them to, um, fail another day.
There’s something kind of nice about that.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (96)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (82)