Jun 1, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT
I’m struggling to think of a game that a team so unceremoniously gave away like the Diamondbacks gave away last night’s game to the Dodgers.
As I mentioned in the recaps, the game ended on a walkoff balk, which is something you just don’t see every day. Here’s the video. I’m not gonna say that Esmerling Vasquez was a bit rattled at that point, but if Casey Blake makes you think he’s gonna steal home, you need to get a handle on your nerves.
But I suppose that was just one screw up. For two you have to go to Kelly Johnson’s double error in the eighth inning. First he bobbled and then he threw away a routine grounder. This with two outs and a two-run lead in the eighth inning. Two runs scored on that play, setting the stage for the balkoff. Here is a rather stylized replay of the Johnson play, which I like better than the straight replay because it sort of captures the slow-motion horror of the thing you just knew that Johnson was feeling.
It’s one thing to get bashed, but that game was first thrown away and then, via the balk, not thrown away. Dbacks’ fans have to be disgusted this morning.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 19
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 7
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 41
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)