Jun 1, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT
I’m struggling to think of a game that a team so unceremoniously gave away like the Diamondbacks gave away last night’s game to the Dodgers.
As I mentioned in the recaps, the game ended on a walkoff balk, which is something you just don’t see every day. Here’s the video. I’m not gonna say that Esmerling Vasquez was a bit rattled at that point, but if Casey Blake makes you think he’s gonna steal home, you need to get a handle on your nerves.
But I suppose that was just one screw up. For two you have to go to Kelly Johnson’s double error in the eighth inning. First he bobbled and then he threw away a routine grounder. This with two outs and a two-run lead in the eighth inning. Two runs scored on that play, setting the stage for the balkoff. Here is a rather stylized replay of the Johnson play, which I like better than the straight replay because it sort of captures the slow-motion horror of the thing you just knew that Johnson was feeling.
It’s one thing to get bashed, but that game was first thrown away and then, via the balk, not thrown away. Dbacks’ fans have to be disgusted this morning.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)