Jun 1, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT
I’m struggling to think of a game that a team so unceremoniously gave away like the Diamondbacks gave away last night’s game to the Dodgers.
As I mentioned in the recaps, the game ended on a walkoff balk, which is something you just don’t see every day. Here’s the video. I’m not gonna say that Esmerling Vasquez was a bit rattled at that point, but if Casey Blake makes you think he’s gonna steal home, you need to get a handle on your nerves.
But I suppose that was just one screw up. For two you have to go to Kelly Johnson’s double error in the eighth inning. First he bobbled and then he threw away a routine grounder. This with two outs and a two-run lead in the eighth inning. Two runs scored on that play, setting the stage for the balkoff. Here is a rather stylized replay of the Johnson play, which I like better than the straight replay because it sort of captures the slow-motion horror of the thing you just knew that Johnson was feeling.
It’s one thing to get bashed, but that game was first thrown away and then, via the balk, not thrown away. Dbacks’ fans have to be disgusted this morning.
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 13
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)