The Dodgers win on a walkoff balk

Jun 1, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT

Casey Blake walkoff balk.jpgI’m struggling to think of a game that a team so unceremoniously gave away like the Diamondbacks gave away last night’s game to the Dodgers.

As I mentioned in the recaps, the game ended on a walkoff balk, which is something you just don’t see every day. Here’s the video. I’m not gonna say that Esmerling Vasquez was a bit rattled at that point, but if Casey Blake makes you think he’s gonna steal home, you need to get a handle on your nerves.

But I suppose that was just one screw up.  For two you have to go to Kelly Johnson’s double error in the eighth inning. First he bobbled and then he threw away a routine grounder. This with two outs and a two-run lead in the eighth inning. Two runs scored on that play, setting the stage for the balkoff.  Here is a rather stylized replay of the Johnson play, which I like better than the straight replay because it sort of captures the slow-motion horror of the thing you just knew that Johnson was feeling.

It’s one thing to get bashed, but that game was first thrown away and then, via the balk, not thrown away.  Dbacks’ fans have to be disgusted this morning.

1. Mac - Jun 1, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Remember John Rocker’s dropped ball walkoff balk against the Marlins in 2000?

2. PilotHawkeye - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:15 AM

As I have never heard of a ‘walk-off balk’ happening before, I have the following question. As the batter never completed his time at bat, does he get credit for a plate appearance? Plus, I don’t think an RBI is awarded for a run scored via balk. Anyone care to comment? I am very curious to know the correct answer.

3. BC - Jun 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Would this be… a “balk off”?

4. Philip P. - Jun 1, 2010 at 12:09 PM

No plate appearance or RBI for Blake Dewitt as a result of the balk.

5. BC - Jun 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM

The run is also earned.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3105)