Jun 1, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez lived up to his end of the bargain and then some Monday afternoon, but instead of a dream pitcher’s duel Tim Lincecum continued to struggle.
Jimenez hurled his second complete-game shutout of the season (with the first being his no-hitter against Braves), striking out nine while holding the Giants to four hits and two walks. He’s now 10-1 with a ridiculous 0.78 ERA and .172 opponents’ batting average in 11 starts.
At the opposite end of the spectrum Lincecum managed just three strikeouts and gave up four runs in 5.2 innings, marking the first time since his rookie season that he’s failed to last six innings in three straight starts.
He also handed out five walks for the fourth straight start after issuing a total of 10 free passes in his first seven outings. Dontrelle Willis is the last pitcher with five or more walks in four straight starts.
“There’s too much negative going on right now,” Lincecum told reporters afterward. “I’m not necessarily saying something’s wrong, but you’ve got to fix it. That’s what I’m trying to do.”
Lincecum had a 1.86 ERA and 64/10 K/BB ratio through seven starts, so whether blisters, cracked finger nails, or a more significant issue at this point it’s pretty safe to say “something’s wrong” with him physically.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)