Jun 1, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez lived up to his end of the bargain and then some Monday afternoon, but instead of a dream pitcher’s duel Tim Lincecum continued to struggle.
Jimenez hurled his second complete-game shutout of the season (with the first being his no-hitter against Braves), striking out nine while holding the Giants to four hits and two walks. He’s now 10-1 with a ridiculous 0.78 ERA and .172 opponents’ batting average in 11 starts.
At the opposite end of the spectrum Lincecum managed just three strikeouts and gave up four runs in 5.2 innings, marking the first time since his rookie season that he’s failed to last six innings in three straight starts.
He also handed out five walks for the fourth straight start after issuing a total of 10 free passes in his first seven outings. Dontrelle Willis is the last pitcher with five or more walks in four straight starts.
“There’s too much negative going on right now,” Lincecum told reporters afterward. “I’m not necessarily saying something’s wrong, but you’ve got to fix it. That’s what I’m trying to do.”
Lincecum had a 1.86 ERA and 64/10 K/BB ratio through seven starts, so whether blisters, cracked finger nails, or a more significant issue at this point it’s pretty safe to say “something’s wrong” with him physically.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)