Jun 1, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez lived up to his end of the bargain and then some Monday afternoon, but instead of a dream pitcher’s duel Tim Lincecum continued to struggle.
Jimenez hurled his second complete-game shutout of the season (with the first being his no-hitter against Braves), striking out nine while holding the Giants to four hits and two walks. He’s now 10-1 with a ridiculous 0.78 ERA and .172 opponents’ batting average in 11 starts.
At the opposite end of the spectrum Lincecum managed just three strikeouts and gave up four runs in 5.2 innings, marking the first time since his rookie season that he’s failed to last six innings in three straight starts.
He also handed out five walks for the fourth straight start after issuing a total of 10 free passes in his first seven outings. Dontrelle Willis is the last pitcher with five or more walks in four straight starts.
“There’s too much negative going on right now,” Lincecum told reporters afterward. “I’m not necessarily saying something’s wrong, but you’ve got to fix it. That’s what I’m trying to do.”
Lincecum had a 1.86 ERA and 64/10 K/BB ratio through seven starts, so whether blisters, cracked finger nails, or a more significant issue at this point it’s pretty safe to say “something’s wrong” with him physically.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)