Jun 1, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Ubaldo Jimenez lived up to his end of the bargain and then some Monday afternoon, but instead of a dream pitcher’s duel Tim Lincecum continued to struggle.
Jimenez hurled his second complete-game shutout of the season (with the first being his no-hitter against Braves), striking out nine while holding the Giants to four hits and two walks. He’s now 10-1 with a ridiculous 0.78 ERA and .172 opponents’ batting average in 11 starts.
At the opposite end of the spectrum Lincecum managed just three strikeouts and gave up four runs in 5.2 innings, marking the first time since his rookie season that he’s failed to last six innings in three straight starts.
He also handed out five walks for the fourth straight start after issuing a total of 10 free passes in his first seven outings. Dontrelle Willis is the last pitcher with five or more walks in four straight starts.
“There’s too much negative going on right now,” Lincecum told reporters afterward. “I’m not necessarily saying something’s wrong, but you’ve got to fix it. That’s what I’m trying to do.”
Lincecum had a 1.86 ERA and 64/10 K/BB ratio through seven starts, so whether blisters, cracked finger nails, or a more significant issue at this point it’s pretty safe to say “something’s wrong” with him physically.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)