Jun 2, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
The Phillies are reeling right now, having lost eight of ten and the division lead. AOL’s Ed Price makes an astute observation, however:
Is the Phillies 2-8 slide a disaster? They had six 2-8 stretches in 2008, five 2-8
stretches in 2009 and a 1-9 stretch in 2009.
Good point. No team with as much talent as the Phillies should be judged by their worst moments, and while overreacting seems like a lot of fun right now, it’s pretty misguided business.
But I will offer one mild rebuttal, however: while the Phillies did have such stretches in 2008 and 2009, the NL East wasn’t as strong a division in those years as it is this year. Sure, the Mets were in it until the end, but there were a ton of easy games against the Braves and Nats that year. Same goes for last year too.
This year? No one in the division is a total pushover, and there will be less room for error if the Phillies want to win it again. So like, any time you want to come out of the nosedive, felllas . . .
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)