Jun 2, 2010, 10:50 AM EST
The Phillies are reeling right now, having lost eight of ten and the division lead. AOL’s Ed Price makes an astute observation, however:
Is the Phillies 2-8 slide a disaster? They had six 2-8 stretches in 2008, five 2-8
stretches in 2009 and a 1-9 stretch in 2009.
Good point. No team with as much talent as the Phillies should be judged by their worst moments, and while overreacting seems like a lot of fun right now, it’s pretty misguided business.
But I will offer one mild rebuttal, however: while the Phillies did have such stretches in 2008 and 2009, the NL East wasn’t as strong a division in those years as it is this year. Sure, the Mets were in it until the end, but there were a ton of easy games against the Braves and Nats that year. Same goes for last year too.
This year? No one in the division is a total pushover, and there will be less room for error if the Phillies want to win it again. So like, any time you want to come out of the nosedive, felllas . . .
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)