Jun 2, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
Last week general manager Omar Minaya revealed that Carlos Beltran is unlikely to return before the All-Star break, saying he had yet to resume baseball activities and would need 6-8 more weeks of rehab time once that happens.
Yesterday the injured center fielder said he’s currently running at about 80 percent and expects to begin playing extended spring training games next week, which indicates he’s now 6-8 weeks from rejoining the Mets if Minaya’s timetable is accurate.
When he does return Beltran may see some time in right field, with manager Jerry Manuel saying yesterday “that’s not out of the question” and “it would be something we have to entertain with him, how comfortable he is in a different spot.” By playing Beltran in right field the Mets would potentially save some wear and tear on his surgically repaired knee while also leaving Angel Pagan in center field where he’s played well.
Current right fielder Jeff Francoeuer would be the odd man out in that scenario, but he has little room to complain with a .251 batting average, .314 on-base percentage, and .393 slugging percentage in 53 games. Of course, given Beltran’s many setbacks and the Mets’ recent history with such things there’s obviously no need to cross that bridge any time soon.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)