Jun 2, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
Last week general manager Omar Minaya revealed that Carlos Beltran is unlikely to return before the All-Star break, saying he had yet to resume baseball activities and would need 6-8 more weeks of rehab time once that happens.
Yesterday the injured center fielder said he’s currently running at about 80 percent and expects to begin playing extended spring training games next week, which indicates he’s now 6-8 weeks from rejoining the Mets if Minaya’s timetable is accurate.
When he does return Beltran may see some time in right field, with manager Jerry Manuel saying yesterday “that’s not out of the question” and “it would be something we have to entertain with him, how comfortable he is in a different spot.” By playing Beltran in right field the Mets would potentially save some wear and tear on his surgically repaired knee while also leaving Angel Pagan in center field where he’s played well.
Current right fielder Jeff Francoeuer would be the odd man out in that scenario, but he has little room to complain with a .251 batting average, .314 on-base percentage, and .393 slugging percentage in 53 games. Of course, given Beltran’s many setbacks and the Mets’ recent history with such things there’s obviously no need to cross that bridge any time soon.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 0
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 15
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)